8:

"You're to work for me and only for me. I'm not asking you to be a Thorn, I'm offering you an opportunity to redeem yourself rather than facing consequences of violating the rules I put in place on the backstreets of my city. You'll be given a burner phone with my contact alone in it; call if you find information or if something wrong has happened. Don't even try to make a runner since you won't make it that far."

I'm sat in Leone's office, a mix between mahogany and maroon which compliments each other richly, especially since the room is dimly lit causing the bookshelves to seem almost bigger and superior. He sits across from me at his desk, paperwork organised in neat piles which juxtaposes his rather laid back, easygoing vibe. His hair is ruffled, eyes are icy cold, his angular face seems almost sculptured and the poor lighting creates sharp shadows with his high cheekbones. His top two buttons on his crisp white dress shirt is undone, allowing me a peep of his chest.

"I wouldn't, I'm not that dumb," I roll my eyes and cross my arms. "Would you like me to start tonight?"

"Yes. Get the lay of the land, get clues and report back to me. Do you have a place to stay?"

I think back to Chad and realise our deal's off; I can't go back to Celine with the reigning bitch queen living at the flat. "No."

"Then you'll stay here. Try anything and you're dead. I'll make sure we'll fix you up a room at the mansion close to mine so I can keep a close eye on you. I don't trust you one bit so don't try to test it, clear?"

"Am I getting paid?" I ask.

His brows furrow, "This is purely to get you out of trouble."

"How is that supposed to work? Since what got me in this trouble was lack of money."

"You shouldn't need it since—"

"Ah, ah, ah," I tut. "Your proposition is purely one sided. I can easily run off if I need to."

"We've got CCTV cameras everywhere," he threatens.

"Then why aren't you able to find these Russians, hm?"

His face drops and a scowl forms on his perfect features.

"Exactly. I could easily slip you, however, I could stretch to an agreement..."

"You do realise you're bartering with the most powerful gang in the world right? Literally two hours ago you were whimpering on a chair, cuffed and vulnerable, waiting for me to make the first cut."

The scowl turns to a smirk as he gets up, being only 3 Inches taller than my 6'. Despite this, I can't deny how he can still use his height to catch me off g both intimidating and sex— no! Mal Isabella!

"You do realise that I am in control. That I have the power."

His expression is making it hard for me to not kill him. Kill him? That's an idea. Although running my fingers through his silky locks seems quite appealing- I catch myself and paste on a humoured expression despite my internal screaming, "I'm the one you need."

"We have a Vipera."

"However she's not managed to locate these Russians, hm? Pay me in cash and we'll have ourselves a deal. I'll stay here, go our every night and come back. The reason you haven't succeeded yet is because the CCTV cameras you proudly hack- they're lacking! That's why this city you claim is yours is so easy to conquer, since it's broke and the police are pushovers meaning that a couple grand here and there literally shuts anyone up. I've lived in this city for the majority of my life, I sure as hell know what I'm talking about."

Leone remains quiet, his eyes flickering and the cogs turning in his mind. He stipples his fingers on the desk and leans forward, "Okay."

"Huh?"

"Don't make me repeat myself," he scolds. "You're right. That is the reason we haven't been able to catch them, but the mayor is too stupid and greedy to place more cameras on the streets. On the other hand, why would you be able to find these places and hear these rumours?"

"Since I'm not a Thorn and people actually like me," I beam. "What can I say? People have taste."

Rolling his eyes, he simply nods and opens his draw, placing a wad of cash on the bills before sitting through it, "What should we agree on? A five-hundred per night?"

My mouth dries and I open it before closing, then nod as words fail me. Five hundred?! Per NIGHT!? I internally scream as I plaster yet another blank facade and reach out to shake his hand which he does. I have to force myself to not gasp as small sparks tingle beneath my skin and straight to my groin, I discretely swallow the forming lump forming in my throat and play it off with a cheeky grin, "You have a very gentle handshake."

His brows raise, "It was firm."

"Well I'm used to it rough," I shrug as something flickers in his eyes at the double meaning. I let out an audible sigh and shake my head, "Anyhoo, I best be off. Can I get my phone back before I leave though? I need to cancel on my clients and sources so they know I'm not dead."

"How do I know if you're not lying to me?"

I give him a dumbfounded expression, "It's a burner phone. You can have it back afterwards."

He nods in agreement and opens his top draw, sifting through its contents before pulling it out and firmly passing it to me. I quickly send a couple of messages to necessary people including Chad, who instantly messages back.

Chad: Where the fuck are you?!
Me: I quit.
Chad: I want my money back bitch. I gave you a roof yet you threw that shit back in my face.
Me: I've found a better opportunity. Didn't end up selling your coke tho. I'll return it tonight.
Chad: Who's gonna sell my shit now!?
Me: Not me.

"Who are you talking to?" Questions Leone.

I glance up and shake my head, before finishing off with a time and place. Without thinking I snap my phone in half and send a mischievous grin towards Leone, "I'm many things but I sure as hell am not disloyal."

"You have an alliance?"

"Nope."

"You created your own drugs?"

I snort and shake my head, "You think I have that mentality? You're so wrong; I got it from a dealer."

"Who?"

"Ah, ah, ah," I click my tongue and sigh exaggeratedly. "Not disloyal, remember? Plus I'm not apart of the Thorns, I'm only agreeing to help you to save my arse."

"I'll remember this."

I snort and roll my eyes, "Okay Mr Revenge, you remember this. I'm going to go do that job you're paying me to do- five hundred, sounds exhilarating."

He slips me a burner phone with a straight face as I stand up and round my seat, sending him a mock wink before sashaying into the hallway, slamming the door shut behind me. I press my back to the cool wood and let out a low sigh, calming my racing heart. Holy hell...