40. Sewing Wounds

"There's faith and there's sleep
We need to pick one please because
Faith is to be awake
And to be awake is for us to think
And for us to think is to be alive ..." - Twenty One Pilots

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chapter 40:

PEIRCE'S POV:

The room holds onto a haunting silence. Rose sits quietly beside me, holding my hand. I am almost certain we are both thinking about the same thing: the party.

Hours have gone by since realizing what I did. Now I only think about my new found hatred towards the actions I've taken this past week.

I also think about all those times I promised myself I would change and how I abandoned my plan out of stubbornness and fear.

Yes, I was afraid of leaving the drugs. Because they held me together for so long. I understand that now.

Rose adjusts her hand, then rests her head on my shoulder.

She tried to help me this whole time, without doubt.

"I don't know what happened to me," I tell her, "My head was aching so much and I thought drinking would help . . . it always managed to help."

"I understand." She replies, "People relapse sometimes."

"I have nightmares. I feel myself going crazy. There's too many things going on in my mind. I just,"

"Calm." She advices me

I take in a deep breath.

The door suddenly opens. Rose lets go of my hand and stands up from her seat as a male doctor walks in.

He is bald and carries a white coat. In his hand he holds a clipboard, similar to the one Shelly the nurse carries around.

"Peirce Roberts," he holds out his hand "I'm Doctor Hubert."

I shake his hand out of courtesy. Inside I'm begging him to go away.

"Is this your guardian?" he asks while pointing at Rose.

"Yes." I reply.

"Then I suppose it's alright to talk about your diagnosis in front of her, correct?"

"Well. . ."

At that moment, Rose's cell phone rings.

"Sorry," she whispers, glancing at the phone, "It's from my brother, I have to take this. I'll be a minute."

She leaves the room, much to my relief.

"You can continue, doctor. I don't want her to know anything."

"Very well then. Now Mr. Roberts. . .are you aware that the legal drinking age in the state of California is twenty-one years?"

I look at him cautiously, "Yes. I'm aware."

"Yet, you've been admitted into this hospital twice now because of alcohol related incidents."

"Are you scolding me?"

"I'm making sure you know the facts."

"I know them."

"I've lived in this town for more than twenty years. I know all about you Mr. Roberts."

"What does that have to do with your job, doctor? You're supposed diagnosing me not reprimanding me as if you were my father."

"I knew your father." He says.