12. Hanging On

• Dedicated to Love

Chapter 12: Hanging On

"It's hard to admit that someone doesn't love you back. So, you hold on to them until you have no choice but to admit it."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rose POV:

My eyes are closed but I'm moving. The sound of tires racing on the road surrounds my ears. Slowly, I open my eyes. A ray of morning light blinds me for just a moment until I realize I'm in a car. Peirce sits next to me, concentrating on the road in front him.

I rub my eyes in order to wipe some of the heavy sleep from my system.

"Peirce?"

He stays silent. And I can guess why.

I turn my back to him and stare out the window, feeling a hint of embarrassment. How stupid could I have been to tell him something like that last night? It's a curse having an impulsive side. I blame it on my mother. Yesterday was emotionally exhausting. I think today will be the same.

"Where are we going?" I softly ask.

"I'm taking you home." He answers, without a hint of emotion in his voice. I can't tell if he's mad or indifferent.

"I'm so dead." I groan. Staring at trees zooming by, I start thinking.

"Why didn't you wake me up last night? I fell asleep. You could've just-" I stop talking.

Because now I see his face. Bags hung under his tired blue eyes. His lips were chapped and his skin pale.

"Are you okay?"

I reach out to touch him. He winces away with a frown on his lips.

"Did you even sleep?"

He gulps, "We're almost there."

"Why aren't you answering any of my questions?"

"Stop it," he growls, "You're distracting me."

"It's not like I'm asking for much. I'm curious. Your temper is unbearable."

"Whatever."

Annoyance burrows deep in my gut. "I hate it when you say whatever."

He looks at me for a brief second. Don't. You. Dare.

"Whatever."

It takes all my might to refrain myself from slapping him. "Whatever." I mock.

"Stop being a pain." He complains.

I turn to look at him, offended, "I'm being the pain? You're the one who's acting like a total jerk."

"Shut up and let me drive. Don't you ever stop talking?"

I can't take it anymore. This treatment! It ignites a flame in me.

"Stop it!" I yell "Stop being so rude!"

He steps on the pedal, the speed increasing. "You're the one who's being annoying as hell right now!"

"You make me feel worthless!"

The car comes to a complete halt. My house stands a few yards away. But the real problem sits right next to me.

Peirce looks at me completely, for the first time since I've woken up. "What did you say?"

"You heard what I said."

His annoyed expression softness. In his eyes, I could see guilt. He's pushed too far.