Chapter 14

Sansa hadn't planned to go to the dinner meal in the Great Hall but Daenerys's absence worried her as it had worried Jon and she wanted to be immediately available in case something happened

Sansa hadn't planned to go to the dinner meal in the Great Hall but Daenerys's absence worried her as it had worried Jon and she wanted to be immediately available in case something happened. She tried not to think of the kiss earlier in the day or the confrontation with Arya, where she'd essentially collapsed in emotion in front of her sister and required her comfort. Instead she poked at her food and focused on Jon, who still looked full of worry. Whenever he glanced in her direction, she could tell he was thinking about what she had told him.

Suddenly Daenerys entered the hall and the murmurs increased in volume as she walked straight to the high table. Their eyes connected briefly and Sansa could've sworn she saw a small quirk in the corner of Daenerys's mouth, which sent a flutter through her chest, but Daenerys then directed her gaze to Jon. When Sansa looked at Jon, she saw relief light up his face as he stood up and walked around the table to greet her. Sansa didn't know what words were said, and their interaction still seemed stiff, but the smile on Daenerys's face told Sansa all she needed to know. Jon's greeting towards her and Daenerys's attention towards him, the jealousy this inspired in Sansa was surprising and she bit it back as her brother and his queen walked closely together to take their places at the table to eat. Sansa ate quietly without looking again at Daenerys and Jon.

Being so near Daenerys, however, made it impossible to continue ignoring what had happened today. Her very presence brought Sansa's thoughts into focus on their kiss and all their other intimate moments. She had felt nothing like it before. Sansa looked at Tyrion, who was conversing animatedly with his brother, and she smiled sadly before looking back down at her plate. He was a man that would never hurt her, and during their night together he had treated her as if she were the only woman in the world that mattered. She had needed that experience more than anything because she never expected to find it with anyone else, had even told him she didn't think she could ever love anyone in that way. In spite of the connection she felt, in spite of the thought in the back of her mind that she shouldn't rule him out completely once all of this was done, Sansa had been able to end it and set Tyrion aside without much effort. The cold reality she faced now was that everything with Tyrion now paled next to the heat she felt when Daenerys was in her arms earlier today. It overwhelmed her in a way that was almost frightening in its strength, making her wonder if Arya's belief about her feelings was true. Even now, when she knew she had to be strong and set this desire aside as well, her heart quaked at the thought, rebelling against her and demanding she march over to that side of the high table and pull Daenerys into another mind-shattering kiss.

Sansa huffed in frustration and pushed her plate aside, having had her fill of food, wine, and being ignored. This response from Daenerys had been unexpected. She thought Daenerys would swoop in and need to speak with her immediately, perhaps even demand a finish to what Sansa had started. Her response made Sansa question whether Daenerys had felt even a fraction of the passion she had felt. Had she misjudged Daenerys's reactions? These feelings were driving her mad and she rose to circulate through the room. It had been a while since she'd socialized, having been preoccupied with Daenerys for so long, and she had an urge to demonstrate her own independence from their 'friendship'.