21 | Paisley

The sweat beads on his forehead, rolling down the bridge of his nose and drips from the tip as I hand him a drink, my gaze continuously straying to the front door as I wait anxiously for my team to arrive back.

They've been gone for far too long.

Artemis lazes against the lounge beside Mr. Arden, her head resting lazily in the palm of her hand as she watches me pace in front of them again, my hands running up the side of my thighs.

I'd let my parents know that we had acquired Mr. Arden and that he was safe with us, though the unknown state of his son had caused more worry than my team had needed in that moment. I hadn't told my parents yet, figured I'd tell them about Danny when they got here.

My head snaps to the front door as the sound of two cars driving into the driveway sounds, my feet taking me to the front door as I retrieve my gun and point it towards the ground as I sneak closer to the door, Artemis gets up from the lounge and walks beside me. Situating herself on the other side of the front door as I slowly move the curtain covering the window to the side so I can peak out.

"Is that my son?" Mr. Arden' voice shakes as he awaits any news of Danny.

I shake my head and look back at him as I unlatch the door, "No Sir" A breath leaves me as my family make their way up the driveway, I quickly open the door to let them in before shutting it behind them once Uncle Clay steps over the threshold.

"Mr. Arden" My mother steps forward as he stands up, she takes his hand and shakes it once before gesturing him to sit back down. "We're sorry for how everything turned out, we heard wind of an assassination attempt on your life and had to intervene, we hope you aren't freaked out too much" She takes the seat opposite him on the other lounge, my father walking behind her, his hazel eyes, matching to mine, straying over the windows and front door as he stops directly behind her, shoulders tense and eyes alert.

They catch mine and I smile as he nods his head, his lips mouthing the word 'proud' before he looks back at Mr. Arden with a stricter facial expression.

I feel a presence by my side and turn to Artemis, nodding my head at her as we both stand back, letting the parents take over as we lean against the wall next to the front door, my ears peeled for any sound of my teammates.

Uncle Liam walks around the room, his blue eyes on fire at he searches around.

"Where is Windsor?" he spins to Artemis and I, his hands fisting.

"Where's the boys?" Uncle Clay walks over, the conversation between my parents and Mr. Arden pausing as every face turns towards Artemis and I.

I bite my lip, glancing at Artemis from the corner of my eye.

"They went to get my son" Michael Arden spoke up, his shoulders dropping.

"Your Son" Aunt Cleo speaks up, walking closer from her spot at the furthest window, Aunt Andy by her side. "He wasn't in your file" she looks at Uncle Clay as she says this, her eyebrow raising as he was the one who gathered the information.

He shakes his head "I didn't find any information on any children, we were unaware you had any"

Mr. Arden shakes his head, "It's complicated between his mother and I, she didn't want me on the birth certificate, or anything to do with me" he looks up at us with sad eyes "I was a dumb kid and didn't want the child either, so I agreed until I saw my son for the first time when he was twelve. It didn't go over well and we are still learning. But I love him"