New Beginnings

As the silence settles, I notice there is music quietly playing from somewhere. A beautiful song gets louder and louder as the silence becomes stronger and stronger. Ayaan walks into the other and turns the music up louder from somewhere. I curiously follow him.

The song restarts. (A/N: Iinked to side) He turns around and holds out a hand. “First dance?” 

“Really?” I ask nervously. Though there was no reason to be nervous.

“Of course. It’s tradition,” he steps closer. I place one hand in his and the other on his shoulder.

“Did you enjoy the day?” he asks.

“I did. Everyone was very happy,” I nod.

“Were you happy?” he emphasizes. I freeze in my spot but he spins me around nevertheless.

No one ever asked me if I was happy. “Were you?” he asks again.

I open my mouth to say something but nothing really comes out. So I just nod.

“Good. I was too since you asked,” he teases. I roll my eyes and look around the room. The entire room just screamed ‘honeymoon suite.’

Mortified, I can only imagine what it looked to our mothers.

“Song’s done. Unless you want another dance,” Ayaan grins. I step away from him and roll my suitcase into the middle of the room to get out my clothes to change into.

“Let’s go to sleep. I have to be up again at 8am to put my mask back on,” I scowl. He just chuckles and tells me I can take the bathroom first.

“you go first. But where will you sleep?” I ask before he goes anywhere. There was only one bed and we were not going there.

“The couch,” he says it like it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

I frown. “Let me take the couch. I’ll fit better than you.”

“No, don’t be daft. It’s not a problem,” he shakes his head. “Take the bed. You need to sleep more than me anyways.”

“Sure?”

“Positive. Now I’m going to get out of this,” he tugs at his sherwani. I give him a small smile as he heads into the bathroom.

I start off with taking off my veil and then my makeup all the while humming along to the music still playing quietly in the background. Ayaan’s water turns off so I drop the earring I was taking off and quickly gather things to make his bed.

As I take two big pillows and a blanket, Ayaan leaves the bathroom and I go barreling into him. We both fall backwards because he trips on the bottom of my dress onto the bed.

The water from his hair drips onto my face and I instinctively turn away from the impact. He notices and slowly, his thumb comes up to my face to wipe the water from my cheek.

I stop breathing as his finger lingers on my face, the only thing between our bodies being the big pillow I was holding.

The intimacy of the moment scares me and I quickly push him away. He stands up instantly, muttering a small sorry.

A little shiver passes through me as the air hits my body again. Of if someone walked in

Two people, one a bed covered in rose petals, covered by a flower canopy, in a room lit by candles. Oh the humanity.

I hand him the stuff and he leaves the room. I’m able to take off everything I can but my dress remains. I realize that I’ll need him to open the buttons on the back of it.