Laundry Room

“What do we do now?” my voice shakes uncharacteristically. I step away from the railing and lean against the wall opposite. Omar takes my hand and pulls me into Zinat’s room.

“We have a problem,” he bursts into the room but we both stop mid step when we see her parents along with Ayaan sitting on the bed. Bloody hell times two.

“Kya hua beta?” Her mum asks us concernedly.

“Oh we just need Zinat for a couple minutes. There’s a little problem with some decorations,” I quickly speak up before they get suspicious that something is up.

“Oh. I’ll come see.” She stands up and follows us out the door. Ayaan excuses himself and follows. I lead them into my room and shut the door firmly. Omar Bhai gives them a rundown of what just happened and the colour slowly drains from Zinat’s face.

“We’re done,” she falls onto my bed. “We did what we could.” One single tear falls from her eye. Ayaan goes over and sits down beside her.

“We did what we could. But Allah is watching, it’s in his hands now. Have faith,” he rubs her back comfortingly.

I look over to my cousin and his face it blank. The usual laughing, happy smile of his is gone and it breaks my heart. The happiness of my brothers is more to me than my life. They've done so much for me, I will die before I let them be remotely unhappy.

“Ayaan, let’s give them a minute,” I look at him pointedly. He nods and follows me out the door.

“We have to do something,” I tell him. “We can’t let their lives ruin over this.”

“I agree. Let’s just let today pass and do something tomorrow. We’ve got three days, something’s bound to happen.”

“You’re right. I have to go see Kismat but let me know if anything happens.”

“Sure,” he smiles tightly and lets me pass. I walk into Kismat’s room with a calm expression plastered on my face. It’s her wedding day. I can’t let anything ruin it.

“My, my, I have to give myself a pat on the back for that one. You’re wearing that lengha to church!”  she laughs.

“Thank you,” I roll my eyes and sit down on the chair in front of the vanity. She was still in her nightie getting her facial done. “Now can we hurry? I have lots to do.”

“Like what?” she snorts.

“Like double check your wedding tent is set up perfectly, thank you very much.”

My lengha was gorgeous though. Yellow with pink borders. (Her lengha's on the side) The makeup artist starts on me beginning with my mess of a hair.

Kismat keeps me entertained with chatter about her honeymoon. She and Zayed were to go to Mauritius for a couple days before they came back for school. Kismat was going to slowly move into our house and then commute to school till she finished.

Once my hair is done and the makeup is started, Kismat brings up Omar and Zinat. I tell her how I came to know and she seems pleasantly surprised how quickly it’s all been.

“So what’re you guys planning on doing?”

“Something. But that’s nothing to worry your pretty little head over.”

“Done miss. You look very beautiful,” the makeup artist steps back to let me see myself in the mirror. I have to admit, she did a brilliant job.

“You look amazing babe,” Kismat smiles fondly at me.