Missions

"Zinat?” Omar bhai squint his eyes as if he’s seeing an oasis in a desert. What an idiot. “What’re you doing here?”

“It’s my sister’s wedding” Ayaan interjects into their conversation. I roll my eyes and plop down on the couch behind me to watch the drama unfold live.

“How much did you hear?” Omar asks her.

“Enough. I’m not mad” she smiles sadly. “We come from a world that doesn’t allow for fairy tales” she looks down at Omar’s hand. Her voice is so soft but so commanding at the same time that all I can do is stare at her glowing skin. Pink is so her colour.

“Let’s go outside and talk. Saf, cover for me”

“Sure” I bob my head, and sit down on the sofa, watching Omar leading her outside.

The music from our own hall is playing loud enough for us to hear clearly. Ayaan hums under his breath to the vibrant Bollywood music and sits down across from me.

Yay.

"Whose wedding are you here for?"

 "My father's colleague's daughter"

 "That's good" he nods.

"You seem very close to all your brothers."

 "He's my cousin" I mutter.

 "Oh. Wow, you have a lot of boys in your family." I nod, looking to the door Omar bhai left out of.

I can’t take this friendliness any longer.

 "Did you know about this?" he asks, trying get some conversation out of me.

"Nope" I sigh, leaning my head back and shaking out my bangs. It was getting hot in this dress. Silence ensues.

Thank God.

 It's a couple seconds later Omar bhai comes in with Zinat walking ahead of him. They make such a cute couple.

"Saf, lets head back in" bhai tells me. I stand up slowly, not sure what the right emotion to display here would be. Zinat clearly looks like she's been crying. Even Omar bhai's eyes are rimmed red. When I don't move, Omar puts a hand on my back and gently pushes me forward.

Ayaan looks to me and his eyes say the same as mine.

They've said their final goodbyes. My cousin, my brother, has given up the only the thing he's ever wanted in life.

Her.

 And for what? Power, honour, responsibility, all that plains in front of love.

"Bhai," I turn around so fast his hand twists off my back. I cringe apologetically but continue, "what happened?"

"Nothing happened Safiyana."

Oh shit, the full name's out. "Really, nothing happened?” I pull them both to the side. You were just in there confessing your love for her-" Zinat gasps. Whoops. "-and now nothing happened? Zinat, if he told you all that bullshit about the expectations his family has and whatever else, don't listen to him. Tell me, do you love my cousin?"

She's full blown crying now but manages to whisper a yes. " And you’re a devoted Muslim from a good family?" She nods. "Then there is nothing that stops you two from being together. I promise you that you'll be together inshAllah. Now, go enjoy your cousin's wedding" I turn around and gesture Omar bhai to lead the way.

He gives me a wide eyed look but walks. He tries to looks over his shoulder before we enter the hall but I push him in before he waves like a pathetic loser.