Chapter 13

Madame Giry and Christine were still sobbing, on the sofa this time. I was in the kitchen, leaning on the counter making tea. I ran my fingers through my hair, trying to calm down. Their sobs hurt me. Christine, the love of my life in emotional pain. Madame Giry, one of the strongest people I knew. I didn't think she was capable of having a breakdown. My chest was heavy. Meg was talented. A bright young girl, who could've done almost anything she wanted with her life. I jumped as the kettle whistled. I tore it from the stove and poured the water in three teacups. My poor angel. Her best friend. And Madame Giry. Her only daughter! I let the tea brew as I listened to their feint voices.
"I-I could've stopped this...
Christine don't blame yourself. It's not your f-
It is! If she had just seen me, or I had just called you. This wouldn't have happened..."
I understood why she felt that way. It wasn't true. Meg was obviously sick. She was going to kill Gustave. I brought out a small tray with the cups, sugar dish and cream. Christine and Madame both looked up at me as they heard me walk in.
"Here you are."
I cooed as I set the the tea on the coffee table. I sighed and sat on the floor next to Christine. She pulled my head in her lap and stroked my hair.
"It's going to be alright."
I sighed.
"I hope so."