Chapter 4

Gustave was asleep in one of the bedrooms in my small home at Phantasma. Christine was sleeping soundly in my room as well. Her breathing stronger, no more bleeding from the wound as far as I could tell. I sat on the edge of the bed, Christine's hand was firmly grasped in mine. I wasn't going to get any rest until she woke up, and I was perfectly alright with that. For ten years I had gone days without rest. Days without food or drink. All for the sake of music. It was nothing new to me. I stroked her cheek, a few hours ago she was paler than the moon. She was just getting her color back. I watched as her lips part and close. She made tiny noises. This reassured me that she was to be alright. The hours passed and it grew lighter outside. The light of day beamed in through the windows. It was still early. The sky was a purplish blue. I guessed it was about five or six in the morning. Quietly, I sang to her and gently stroked her hair. I wondered if she could hear me. Gustave would be up in a few hours, and I did not want to leave Christine's side. I reached for the telephone on my bedside table and called Mr.Squelch.

"Hello, Squelch? I'm sorry to wake you.

No, Erik. It's alright what's that matter?

I need a favor.

Anything.

Can you come up to my home? Now if possible. The boy, my son will be needing someone to feed and watch him. I can't leave Christine's side. I need to be there when she wakes up. You understand?

Of course. I'll be there shortly.

Thank you Squelch.

Not a problem."

I continued to sit and softly sing to Christine. Hopefully, she could hear me. After a moment I heard a knock at the door.

"Come in."

I softly called, trying not to wake Gustave. Squelch quietly walked in and stood in the doorway.

"How is she?

The doctor said she should wake up at any moment. She's going to be fine, although she needs bed rest. Has anyone found Meg?

No. Even her mother doesn't know where she is.

Damn. I want her found as soon as possible."

He nodded. It was about seven thirty. Squelch made his was to the sofa. Gustave should be up any minute now. Christine looked perfectly healthy, besides the gaping hole in her side. I heard footsteps and a small yawn.

"Father?

Gustave. I'm in here."

I called to him. He made his way to my bedroom. Squelch stood in the doorway, keeping a watchful eye.

"I have to stay with your mother until she wakes up. You understand? Mr.Squelch is going to watch you while I'm with her. Maybe he'll take you to further explore the park?"

I smiled at them both.

"Oh. Alright. If we aren't here when she wakes you will send for us, won't you?

Of course, besides you're probably one of the first people she'll want to see!"

I kissed his head. It was true. She would be very worried about him.

"Go get something to eat and get ready to go to the park!

Okay!"

He hopped of the bed.

"And Gustave?

Yes?

You do not go anywhere without Mr.Squelch, do you understand?"

He nodded and ran to the doorway.

"Thank you Squelch.

It's no problem."

He smiled and left Christine and I.