Chapter 12

I was in a rush to get to Madame Giry's. If squelch said she was in hysterics it must've been bad. She's a strong woman, before this ordeal I'd never really seen her cry.
"Erik?"
Christine turned to me.
"What's going on?"
I swallowed the lump in my throat and gently placed my hands on her shoulders.
"Meg. They found her.
That's great isn't it?"
I slowly shook my head.
"Her body. It washed up by the pier..."
Christine looked up at me blankly. Trying to process what I was saying.
"Christine I'm sorry I-"
She fell into my arms, sobbing. I caught her and pulled her close.
"I-I could've s-stopped her Erik! It's m-my fault!"
She almost screamed into my chest.
"No Christine."
I cooed to her. I stroked her hair and squeezed her tight.
"It's nobody's fault..."
She continued to violently sob into my chest. Madame's home wasn't far so, I scooped her up in my arms and carried her. She wrapped her arms around my neck and cried into my shoulder. After a few minutes of walking we arrived at Madame Giry's home. Christine jumped from my arms. We could hear Madame inside, yelling and sobbing. I knocked on the door.
"H-hello? Madame?"
I softly called.
"M-Madame Giry it's Christine a-and Erik."
Christine sniffled.
"We're coming in."
She called and gently opened the door. Madame was crumpled by the fireplace. She was clutching her chest and screaming. Christine ran inside and clung to her.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I-it's my fault."
Christine sobbed into her. I stood in the doorway, a silent tear escaped my eye. I watched them sob into each other.
"Meg!"
Madame screamed. I closed my eyes and more tears escaped.