What's In A Name ~Cole~ (Dragon Age Inquisition Oneshot) For FairyQueen34

Dragon Age Inquisition oneshot, so surprise, surprise, there may be some spoilers in here. I don't think there's anything major, but you know. Just wanted to be careful. 

Anyway, this one is about my favoirte half-spirit-half-human-half-whoknows Cole. He'd never forget your birthday, FairyQueen34. xD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been such a long day. There were reports that scouts had been kidnaped by a tribe of Avvar warriors in the Fallow Mire who wanted to use them as hostages to get to you. Cullen sent out forces to try to investigate the Storm Coast and they were killed by local bandits. Then you overheard Leliana planning to kill a traitorous spy within her ranks who tired to betray you to some Tivinter Magisters.

Everwhere, all around you, people were dying. For you, because of you...it didn't matter. It was beginning to take it toll. You weren't anything special. You had a normal life among your friends and family, and never expected anything more for yourself really. Well, you did...but not this.
No one would even call you by name anymore. It was always 'Herald of Andraste,' 'Your Worship,' or 'Inquisitor.' It's like you weren't even you anymore.

You had wandered off from the rest of Haven, and were sitting out on a peak overlooking the camp. It was cold, and you were sitting on a snow-covered ledge, dangling your feet in the wind, but you honestly didn't mind.

"Inquisitor...no, not inquisitor. You want to feel smaller, but you are already too small. Not inquisitor...≈≈≈≈≈≈≈."
You didn't even have to turn around to know who was talking to you. If the voice wasn't enough to give it away, the mumbo-jumbo way of talking certainly was. "Thank you, Cole." You said, and you heard his footsteps as he walked closer and sat beside you. You didn't care what Vivienne and Cassandra said about him, having Cole around was one of the only things that kept you sane. He couldn't relate to you really, but he understood. He knew that you didn't want the title of Inquisitor, that you felt to small for the job of sealing the breech, taking on Corypheus, and that you felt wrong for the job.

"The Commander is worried about you. No one has seen you since dinner." He said, looking out at the camp with you.

"No one's seen you since dinner." You shot back with a joking smile at him.

"I don't let them see." He said back, not getting that you were joking.

"If only I had your talent for disappearing." You sighed softly, your breath puffing out like a white cloud against the cold night air.

"Cassandra wanted to send out a search party, but Solas told her to let me try to help instead." He explained.

"How did you find me?" You asked, looking over at him. His face was hidden by the brim of his oversized, floppy hat.

"Your thoughts are very loud. You're...are you alright?"

You looked over at him and poked the brim of his hat up so you could see his face, "Why are you asking? Don't you know the answer?"

He timidly looked don at his hands now that he couldn't hide behind his hat, "Varric has been working on being more....human with me. He says asking people their problems is more helpful than stating what I see on their minds."

  You smiled, "Well, to answer your question, I'm fine." You returned your gaze to the smoke rising from the bonfire set up inside the camp. 

"No you're not." He said quietly, "It hurts. Burning. Like a knife that slits your palm every time, pulling wider all the time. Every rift closed opens a hole in you, and you're scared you wont get those pieces of you back."  He looked at you for a reaction, and when he saw you look down at the ground, even sadder now than when he found you he panicked. "No wait, that was wrong. I'll make you forget, I'll start over, try again."

"No, don't. You're right. It's good to hear it from someone else. It helps."

"I'm....I'm helping?" He asked happily.

"I'm not brave, Cole. Everyone expects me to be so...strong.  I'm not, I'm just..."

"≈≈≈≈≈≈≈." He said, finishing your thought for you.

 You smiled softly and leaned your head against his shoulder, finding it surprisingly warm for a spirit, though you didn't fully believe that was all he was. The warmth your felt on your temple proved that. 

"Hey, I don't think I ever told you my name. how did you know?" You asked, realizing that you never actually ever told him that your name was ≈≈≈≈≈≈.

"Oh, I...um....your name...being called by your real name was what you needed to ease your pain...I was just trying to...help."

"It's alright." You laughed, "It did help. I'll always appreciate it." You kissed him on the cheek as you turned to stand up. "Come on, let's get back to camp, before Cass really does send out a search party for me."

You began to walk away, but stopped and laughed slightly as you looked back a Cole. He had grasped both side of the brim of his floppy hat and had pulled them down over the sides of his face so you couldn't see him blushing.