First Stage Part 2

Annabeth

I was monitoring the radio waves with Leo. He was constantly pushing one button or another, only half of them were literal. 

"So how'd your trip go. Did you and Percy get your freak on in New York. Hit the art gallery, maybe a history museum. What do children of Athen do for fun. Hey, maybe you can recommend a place for Calypso and me after this war. Maybe we could all go on a group date and get Shawarma."

My head was pounding and Leo's rambling was not helping. We needed plans for every possible military and civilian response. If the newest monster army attacked today, tomorrow even a month later. I needed to think of every possible response and attack we would face. Instead of reprimanding Leo for his venting, I left the small group of radio workers and traveled to the camp counselor meeting. 

Chiron was explaining the situation to Clarisse and Connor Still. They had just returned from a collection trip to surrounding schools for the satyres that were scouting them. Unfortunately, they had to use the sewers to get back into Central Park saftely. Clarisse was livid about the ordeal while Connor thought it was hilarious. 

"As soon as we get a response fro the government we will know how to proceed. For now, we are developing two plans. No response and a positive response from the government. If we get a positive response from the government, we must do whatever necessary to gain their trust and secure them as an ally. If we get no response after twelve hours, we will try to stage an "attack" to drive the mortals away from Central Park and are area as much as possible. We will need to inform the government and make sure no one is harmed at the very beginning of the staged attack. I want two groups. We will need one group preparing for infiltration to the mortal groups so they can defuse and control the situation and one group designing and executing the plan. Annabeth, I want you to control the second group. Run everything by her. Travis, Connor, Will I want you on the crowd. We need good human relations and healers on stand by. Can you all cover the assignments?"

Everyone in the room nodded. The camp councilors then grouped together to discuss which cabins should work where. I was approached by both Katie, Pollux and Butch. 

"Hey, Annabeth. The three of us were thinking that with Katie's plants and Pullox's sleep powers, we'd be able to induce an illusion with the help of the Hecate campers and with me running the operations, we'll be able to communicate at faster speeds."

I thought about the plan Butch had just proposed. I had know Katie for years and she was who I'd put in charge of the camp if I had to leave. Butch was the same, but I had only known him for the last year or so. 

"That sounds good. Katie, do you have a specific plant or substance in mind that will work with Pollux's power?"

"I do. If you give us the go ahead, we can gather all our campers and anyone who thinks they can  be of use and start setting up Plan B."

"Yes," as much as I hated to take the back burner of this plan, I had to agree. "Go ahead. Make sure you run the plan by Chiron. Remember, this is the last ditch attempt at peace. Don't do anything that could harm people or put us in a bad place with the mortal government."

"Of course." Katie dragged Pollux out and Butch followed them. I stayed for a moment before getting a ring on my phone. At the same time Charley, a son of Hephastus, ran in. 

"Annabeth. They called back. Leo wants everyone there now!"

I turned and ran to the radio set and I could see many of my friends falling in line behind and around me. 

As soon as we got there, Leo stood up and pressed a button on the side compartment of the machine. 

"Ladies and gents, I would like to introduce you to the Secretary of Defense."

He pushed the button again and a crackeling sound emerged.

"Hello, demigods. This is the Secretary of Defense, Ebin Gale. I would like to speak to the person in charge."

Everyone looked at me, so I stepped up. 

"Hello, Mr. Gale. We have no official leader as we run our oppositions like a summer camp and the roman legion official who first contacted you is still on her way. My name is Annabeth Chase and I will be representing the demigods."

"I have heard of you, Miss Chase. I assume I am on an open call with the leaders. Is that correct?"

"That is correct."

"Could I assume that a demigod by the name Piper McLain is there?"

I glanced at Piper and she nodded. The confusion spread around the room to the point where I could almost feel it like water. Percy grabbed my hand and squeezed. 

Reyna entered the cabin and Thalia filled her in on the conversation. She nodded to me as a direction. 

"I can confirm that Piper McLain is here."

"Good. I would like to talk a moment to express my gratitude for her actions on Aeolia. I hear the winds were favorable on her trip and she helped many people, though she greatly angered my father. It gave me extra paperwork for a week to cover it up."

The look of shock that passed through Leo, Jason, and Piper was concerning. Leo took the questioning gazes as a sign and hit the button again.  

"He can't hear us now."

Piper took over for Leo. "This is good for us, like really good. He's a son of Aeolus, the so called Master of the Winds. He hid it in his statement."

"She has revived the message and apologized for the paperwork."

"I'm just trying to show you the severity and reality of the situation. The government is now aware of the existence of your race. We are sufficiently versed in the day to day actions of demigods and are willing to work with you. Washington just needs a show of good faith, so we are asking you to send the seven demigods that are famous on the news and the demigods that were discovered to be attending mortal schools that were revealed. We know all of you identities and wish to meet you in the lobby of the Empire State Building at exactly 4 o'clock today. Is that clear?"

I grinned. He was purposefully putting us on home turf where we were strongest. "Yes, sir. We will be there at 4 o'clock but I have one term."

"And what would that be?"

"I want the immediate evacuation of all mortals and civilians in a three block radius around Central Park and then the evacuation of the civilian in New York."

"Can I ask why this is a demand."

"Because, sir, with all due respect, the government of America cannot handle the threat that we are facing and a war is coming for New York and we want to get as many civilians away as possible. This war is like nothing you have every seen, Mr. Gale. Something the mortal world has never seen."