The Plains

For those of you who have school that starts the third of September. This is for you.

Will

I finished my class and packed up my charts. I carefully folded my diagram and placed it in my folder. We had only just started a unit on the circulatory system. I new about the major arteries, capilares and veins. More than once I had wrapped a wound where one was severed. I left the classroom and walked down the hall with Dane, one of the few people at Sahara High who wasn't homophobic. Though, he was uneasy around Nico.

"I will never understand the EKG's. How are we supposed to remember every chamber of the heart and what happens during the different cycles. I mean, what's even the difference between the ST segment and the PR segment? They look exactly the same!" He said this in one breath and extremely fast.

I scanned the hallways, looking for Nico. "The EKG correspondes to the movement of the heart during the pumping of the blood and the recharge. Once we learn about the hearts contractions you will be able to match them to the EKG with very little problems."

Dane gave me a look. "Oh, I forgot, resident medical genius in the house." Both of Danes parents where doctors and he wanted to follow in their footsteps. Unfortunately, it took him longer to memorize medical facts.

I looked at him and grinned. "Yes. The medical genius who is going to teach you everything you need to know about the heart by the end of this unit."

This time he fully looked at me grinning. "Yeah that would be uh-that would. I'm going to uh-to see you latter bye." He took off down the hall after catching a glimpse of something over my shoulder. I turned.

"Hey Neeks," I said while turning around "how you doing?"

"Your friend is scared of me."

"Dane just doesn't know you. You always look like you want to kill someone. Can you blame him? Smile."

"I'm good. Also, who says I don't want to kill everyone in this stupid, pointless school."

I rolled my eyes. "Come on Nico, it isn't that bad." He raised an eyebrow at me. "Ok maybe it isn't that good. But hey at least try to make some friends."

He sighed. "If you will stop bugging me I will try."

"Good enough for me." We had reached our lockers and started loading all our school materials into them. I never understood how Nicos locker could get so messy. I mean seriously. The kid had so much junk in their you couldn't see the walls or floors. I even thought I saw a rotten apple in there. Disease in a small area for sure. We turned and walked against the flood of students trying to get to different areas and made out to the fields behind school. I would have to leave my car until tomorrow. We dropped off our backpacks behind the bleachers and I turned to Nico. "Four miles west near Briport."

"Let's go." He held out his hand and I was more than happy to grab it. His checks turned red before he stepped into the shadows pulling me with him. The world darkened and we whirled thorough shadows at breakneck speed, whispers echoed around us causing goosebumps. Then again, that could be the cold feeling spreading throughout my entire body. I gasped as we burst out of the shadows near a Pick N' Save. "This is as close as I can get it's about a half hour walk that way." He pointed with him thumb over his shoulder. "Shall we?"

"Lead on, Neeks." All I got was an eye roll as he started walking in the direction I had pointed.

Half an hour later I was regretting leaving my water bottle in my pack. It was hot and dry and my shoes were full of sand. " How much longer?" Nico took his D-Phone out of his pocket. The pink rhinestones glint in the sun. Leo and Percy found the bedazzling hilarious. Try as Nico might he could not remove them. I would never tell him, but I found Leo after he had given Nico the phone and patted him on the back. Nicos face was priceless! "We should be here."

He looked up. We where desolated area with no trees or vegetation. The only thing of interest was a large rock on top of a hill. I started walking up and Nico followed me. I sat down on the flattest but of rock and felt Nico settle behind me with his back pressed against mine. I heard him rustle in his jacket and the unscrewing of a bottle. His head rested in the back of my neck. His head moved forward again. "Water?"

"Sure. I reached around and offered my hand. I felt the bottle touch my fingers and I grabbed at it. I pulled it around, but as I moved it around my back it tipped. "Crap, crap crap!" I shot up as my pants soaked through. Nico was across from me laughing. "Oh laugh it up Neeks." I bent down and picked up the bottle. Along the stone works and symbols appeared as the water soaked in. "Hey Nico you might want to look at this."

...forever in the sanctuary of our great mistress...