Chapter Twenty Six

||1 Year Later||

Laughter rang out as a group of teenagers gathered in front of the high school. They posed for pictures, smiling as they were surrounded by friends and family. Above them hung a banner: Congratulations class of 2022.
The other graduates gathered around as they prepared to throw their caps in the air. A blonde haired girl exchanged a smile with her friends and together, with the rest of the senior class, they threw their caps in the air.
After adjusting her gown, the blonde haired girl walked over to her family. Her mom and stepdad hugged her, while her stepbrother and younger sister congratulated her.
        "Caleb would've been so proud of you," her mom whispered. She smiled and nodded, turning to her stepbrother, "I know. But I'm glad Tayler's here."
        Her boyfriend joined them, smiling down at her, "No one is prouder of her than me." She laughed and hugged him, while looking out at the crowd of students. This is where I belong, she thought happily.

        After returning home to Maryland, Annie decided to pause her career and focus on herself. She finished her senior year at the local high school, with her childhood friends.
        She earned the title of valedictorian and got accepted to her dream college, on a full ride scholarship. She reunited with old friends and made new ones, putting the past behind her and moving on, towards her future.
         Her singing and acting career was paused and she was in no hurry to return. She occasionally attended fundraiser events, but she preferred to stay out of the spotlight.
         It had been a long road, but she'd finally found happiness. Sure, it wasn't what she'd planned but life rarely goes according to plan. The point was that she was content and pleased with her life.

         "Anns?" She snapped out her thoughts and smiled at her friend, "Sorry, I was just thinking." Katie raised an eyebrow, "About what?"
        She shrugged, "The future. Luke wants to finish college and I think I want to do that, too. We both want to live here in Maryland, settle down and raise a family."
        Katie smiled, "Jackson and I will move next door to you. Our kids will be best friends." Annie laughed, "Just like their parents." The two girls laughed as they pulled into the Donnelly's driveway.
       Both girls got out of the car and went inside, where the rest of their friends were waiting. They took off their caps and gowns, setting them on the table. "We'll be back down in a few minutes," Katie said.
      They went upstairs and changed into swimsuits, before heading back downstairs. They went out to the pool and lounged around, talking and enjoying the sunny day.
      "Annie, there's someone here to see you." She swung her feet out of the pool and stood up, pulling on her shorts before heading inside.
      "Lauren!" She exclaimed. They hugged and began talking all at once, eager to fill each other in on everything. Her Canadian friend grinned and pulled out a small box, "A small gift for your graduation. I have a better one but I'm saving it for the party." She explained.
       Annie opened the box and inside there was a small gold locket. She gently picked it up and smiled, "I love it, thank you!" Lauren helped her put it on, before saying, "Our whole family is here."
       "We all wanted to congratulate you and Katie in person." She added. Annie nodded, but didn't quite get what Lauren was subtlety implying.
      Mrs.Donnelly smiled and said, "The others are out back by the pool. Why don't you head out there and say hi? I'm sure they'd all love to see you."
"My family is waiting for me, so I probably shouldn't. I'll see you at the graduation parties though." She said. They nodded and she left, leaving the two alone in the kitchen.
Annie retuned to her friends and they went back to chilling by the pool. Luke came over and sat by her, smiling at her and tugging her braid. She laughed as he teased her, while their friends lazily splashed around in the pool.