41

I was laying in Braxton's old bedroom trying to sleep, Priscilla thought I could use some rest and I agreed.

But unfortunately sleep did not find me.

I pulled out my phone and smiled at my screen saver, it was a picture I had stolen of Braxton while he was reading to me, I looked at myself and looked so comfortably happy laying against his chest. With a sigh I noticed the time and decided I should give my parents a call.

As the house phone rang I bit my lip a little unsure, I could practically hear the scolding my mother would issue me.

"Hello."

"Hey mom." I smiled. "I was just calling to say hi really."

"Oh honey...well you know you could always come round and stay in your home every now and again.

I blushed, "I know...sorry for being out so much lately."

"Your father and I understand that you are a grown woman and we do trust your judgment."

"Thanks mom, I'm going to be staying with Braxton for a while."

"Are you two moving into together?" She asked.

I went silent, "He hasn't exactly asked me to...but I think he ants me to...I don't know, Part of me feels like this is all happening really fast, and another part of me thinks this all just feels so natural." I admitted.

Now I knew she didn't know about the whole Were world but It genuinely felt good to talk about it all...albeit vaguely.

"Well...stay true to yourself my sweet girl, remember your morals and do things because you feel they're right for you and not just jumping into things because its what you feel like you should be doing."

"Thanks Mom." I said before I hung up.

As I laid back down on the bed a couple of tears escaped me, while we've only been together for a short time I know with everything in me that I love Braxton. And being his mate I know that we will be together for a very long time, it's time face facts.

I had some very real decisions to make regarding my future, as a student, as a mate, and as a Luna

As I contemplated everything my sister and mom had told me I couldn't help but smile. I closed my eyes to try and get to sleep finally when the sound of people shouting hit my ears and the smile erased completely as the realization of last nights events hit me once more.

I hopped out of bed and slipped my flats back on. I adjusted the dress one of the pack members had brought over for me and finally exited the room.

"Priscilla what's going on?" I asked as I entered the living room.

"Oh Harper honey Patrick's brought Elise, she's up in one of the guest rooms being examined." Priscilla admitted.

"W-what, is she alright, I've got to go see her." I said

"No one can see her right now." The familiar voice caused my back to stiffen and I turned cautiously to find Patrick looking right at me, "Alpha's orders."

I looked up at him and simply nodded my understanding.

"Harper?!"

I looked just behind Patrick and found Mariah.

"Mariah?!" I asked a little emotionally, she ran over and we hugged each other tightly before we both started crying.

"H, I'm so sorry, I was an idiot before, a complete bitch" she sobbed. "There was just a lot of shit going on...And now Elise..."

"Shut up Mariah" I cried along with her as I hugged her for dear life, I couldn't imagine losing my friends, with Elise in one of the rooms having to be seen by a doctor I hated to think that I would lose her, or that I let some stupid petty b.s get in-between my friendship with Mariah.

"I'm sorry" she said over and over again.

"It's ok, it's over now." I assured her.

_____

-Patrick's POV-

I watched as my mate and ex-crush embraced in an emotionally charged moment.

Something had happened but I'm sure neither would discuss it tonight.

As the two pulled apart and took refuge on the sofa I walked over to them. "Mariah, may I have a word?"

She and Harper both looked up at me, Harper's eyes were filled with curiosity while Mariah sort of scowled at me but stood. I led her outside to the backyard, with the back door closed securely behind me I let out a long and stress filled sigh. I let my hand run through my hair in a slight agitation before finally taking a seat on the wrought iron bench.

"Would you please sit down?"

"Not before you tell me me what the hell is going on!" She sounded angrily.

"What do you want to know?" I asked, "if it's about what happened to Elise I can't tell you any more than you already know."

"Cut the bullshit Patrick, I know something is going on with you and your...friends, or whatever they are to you." She shouted slightly. "How did Braxton know where we were?" She questioned, "and what's up with all the 'mind link', 'alpha', 'wolf' talk...and don't you dare try to lie to me!"

I let my head hang down and let out another low sigh, "I'm a werewolf."

"That's it," she said, the sound of her shoes against the stone paved path hit me, "I'm fucking out of here."

I jumped up, "you wanted the truth and I've given it to you...congratulations Duchess, you don't live in the world you thought you did."

She stared at me with hard eyes.

"I'm a fucking werewolf, I'm dangerous and being with me means you will more than likely always be in some sort of crossfire...but I also know that you're my mate, and I know you don't know what the hell I'm talking about but I promise that I will always protect you from those crossfires." I said matter of factly. "We are obviously two strong willed individuals and with that we will butt heads from time to time, but if you're willing to put in the work with me, then we can become something great!"

"I..." Her words seemed to stick in her throat, "Patrick" she looked up at me and whispered, her hard eyes had softened and they were now filled with various emotions that I could hardly read, "I'm sorry but I can't."

"What?"

"I can't do this." She cried. "For one I still can't find it in me to believe you...and even if I could, it's like you said, we butt heads way too much to make this work."

"You can't mean this." I insisted, my throat growing thick as an angry lump began to form, "what are you saying."

She did something, I'm not sure what, but she changed her stance and immediately a huge wall went up and her emotions hardened as she spoke her last words with nonchalance "look, you're life's here and I gotta go, I can't live here for the rest of my life and frankly you were just a means of getting me to California, but as you aren't headed that way anymore I don't need you."

My heart felt like it fell into a black hole deep in the pit of my stomach, I couldn't breath and I was at a loss for words as I watched her strut away.

She walked all the way to the gate and reached the door "Goodbye Patrick" she said without even looking back.

When she stepped through the gate door and finally disappeared I lost all will to stand, I literally crumpled onto the ground, my wolf howling with anger and sadness. Had our mate just unknowingly rejected us?

I took a few deep breath before I let my aggression out in the form of a lone punch to the ground. Once everything was out I made myself stand once more, I righted myself, I cleaned my face and stiffened my back, it was right then and there that I made a silent vow:

'I Patrick Westbrook would never have a mate, even if she returned to me, I refuse to ever be hurt or made to look like a fool once more...I Patrick Westbrook refuse to be with and therefore knowingly reject my mate!'