4

"I've survived my first rush week." Val said anxiously, "I am officially an LMP girl now!"

I smiled, even though we were on the phone I knew my sister would be doing her goofy happy dance.

"I'm super happy for you." I listened as my sister spoke so energetically about her first week of school.

"Oh but you HAVE to come to the party tonight!" She insisted.

"I don't know Val, mom and Dad will kill us if they found out I went to a college party."

She began laughing uncontrollably, "are you kidding me, they wouldn't even believe it, you NEVER go out much less party."

I rolled me eyes.

"Come on H, live a little." She urged almost pleadingly.

I thought about it, and finally agreed to go. "What the heck."

The Summer of our move across town was tough on Valerie and I in a lot of ways, the biggest thing was that we were the new kids now. And while Val still talked to her friends from her pervious school slowly they all started to lessen their communications with her. Essentially we were each others only friends until we started opening up and talking to people once the school year started...so it brought us much closer.

I learned that my sister for as popular and gorgeous as she is, was actually really insecure in herself.

It's why she surrounds herself with people...less attention on her solely.

And while Val may be the exact sort of girl who'd pledge a Sorority and rock it, I knew that she was only using the Sorority as ask if you will as a crutch of sorts.

"Hey bring your friends too!" She said before getting up from my bed. "I'm taking off back to the sorority house to help get everything ready...see you later." She said before she hugged me and left.

I pulled out my cellphone and brought up our group chat.

[Harper: Hey just got invited to a sorority party tonight, you guys in?]

I put my phone down and got up, I rummaged through my closet to look for something to wear, I gave up when I realized that whatever I chose my sister would only make me put on something else once I got to her new sorority house.

My phone pinged twice indicated two new texts.

[Mariah: So down...On my way to your place ASAP!]

[Elise: Can't, my uncle isn't doing too well so we're all going over to his house tonight to be with him while we still can.]

My heart fell for her and her family.

[Harper: Wait what?!?! Ellie, I'm so sorry...how about I come over with you?]

[Elise: Thanks H, love ya...but I think I'll be fine...go and have some actual fun for once.]

[Mariah: Call us if you need anything Ellie and you know we'll be there in a heartbeat.]

[Elise: Thanks Ry, he's been sick for awhile so at this point we just want him to not be in pain anymore...love you guys and take lots of pics for me to see later.]

Not wanting to be insensitive I closed the group text and text Mariah Directly.

[Harper: Mom & Dad don't know so I'm gonna say I'm staying the night at your place, just let me know when you're here and we can get ready at my sisters place.]

[Mariah: Kk]

I grabbed my purse and cellphone charger because I knew it wouldn't be long before she arrives. Sure enough as soon as I stepped off the last step she began honking.