Chapter 5 - What Really Happened

The rest of my week just rushed by. After that thing with Clark, everything was awkward. Whenever he would sit by my side in History, I ignore him. Well it's not just me because he didn't talk to me either. But whenever I looked at him, he just smiles a little and would go back to whatever he was doing.

Katie noticed too, one night, that I was somehow off. She tried to cheer me up. I didn't know why I was off. I mean that day with Clark was nothing. It didn't mean anything to me.

Right?

'Yeah, right.' my inner voice cooed.

Now it was Saturday morning. Katie and I were all set to drive off to Boston. It was only a few hours to get to Boston. Katie was driving so that means good life for me. We finished packing some stuff and I loaded it into the car.

"Let's go!" I told her excitedly.

I was excited, really. I was going to see my parents. I missed them so much. I needed some family time.

I entered the car and Katie did too in the driver's seat. She said, "Don't complain about my driving." and started the car.

Katie was well... a reckless driver. She barely cared about making full stops whenever needed and she almost beated a red light too. We're now stuck in a little jam. I opened my window and looked up. Some ruthless guy bumped a truck.

Finally, the traffic was moving. Katie opened the radio and it played Maroon 5's Moves Like Jagger.

I started singing, "I got the moves like jagger, I got the moves like jagger, I got the mooooooves like jagger...."

Katie belted Christina's part, "You wanna know how to make me smile, take control...."

I just laughed at her. She was really feeling it. She wasn't a bad singer. But some of her notes were slightly off.

"Why'd you stop singing?" she asked, turning down the volume.

"You were too good. It was your moment." I said and grinned. It was true.

Another song played on the radio and it was Dynamite by Taio Cruz. It wasn't my favorite, but I liked the tune.

Then I sang as the chorus played, I throw my hands up in the air sometimes, saying ayoooo, gotta let go! I wanna celebrate and live my life, saying ayoooo, baby let's go! 'Cause we can rock this club, we gon' go all night, we can light it up, like it's dynamite....."

I stopped singing right after the song and I was just out of breath. I sighed loudly and leaned my head against the window. Then I fell asleep.

--

"Preppy Stephy, wakey wakey!" I heard someone say.

I opened my eyes and we were in front of my house already. My house is not big, 2 floors and just the right size for our family. Its roof was red and the paint was beige. It was homey. Two large windows on each side of the door. The front door was still closed so obviously my parents did not know yet that we are here. I got out of the car and so did Katie. I opened the trunk and grabbed my duffel bag filled with some dirty clothes. Might as well do laundry here...

Katie followed behind me as we walk up the front door. I knocked three times and door swung open instantly, revealing my mom.

"Oh my! Stephanie!" she said and gave me her bone-crushing hug.

"Mom.. I- I can't- I can't breathe.." I choked out. But I missed that kind of hug.

I put down the duffel bag on the floor and asked Mom while she is greeting Katie, "Where's dad?"