Part V

"You know what I find strange?" "What?"

"Fany said that the reason she and Taeng broke up was Taeng's possessiveness and jealousy, right?"

"Yes. She said it was suffocating and I can understand why. Remember the fights they used to have?"

"Who could forget? But that's exactly why it's strange." "What are you talking about?"

"Why is Taeng only like that when with Fany? She's never overprotective or crazy jealous when dating anyone else. Even towards her current boyfriend who's supposed to be the potential last person she's ever going to date."

"She's keeping her distance from Fany for him. Doesn't that count for something?"

"That only means that he's the possessive and jealous one." "Hm... you have a point."

"I know I do. Weird, isn't it?"

"Yeah but what does it even mean? Moreover, how can it help them get back together?"

"Is Taeng happy with him?"

"I don't know. Looks that way but-­‐..."

"But you think she can be happier with Fany? I feel you." "And Fany's clearly happiest when with Taeng."

"I agree."

"But what can we do about it if the two people involved don't even believe that they belong together?"

"There must be a reason and cure to Taeng's behavior. That's the only thing standing in their way."

"Maybe it was adjustment difficulties? Having people approach your best friend is different than seeing them approach your girlfriend, right? She probably got shocked after the status change. And it's not like she could directly chase those people away. Their relationship was a secret to everyone but us. Imagine being in her shoes, silently seething while pretending not to care when people came up to Fany."

"Plausible but Taeng has a lot of fans too. You don't see Fany going all crazy about it, do you?"

"No but it doesn't mean she wasn't possessive either. She just reacted to it differently. Remember that day when she wouldn't let Taeyeon out of her sight for even a second? They looked like Siamese twins, joined together at the hips."

"I think Taeng secretly liked that treatment, being doted on by Fany, I mean."

"While Fany never enjoyed being restrained from doing anything she wanted. Heck, even her parents couldn't stop her."

"Yeah."

"And that was how the clash that broke them started. There was more to it, of course, but that was basically the thing that ignited everything."

"Why didn't we realize this sooner?"

"Because they always tell us to stay away from their business?" "I get the wiseass comment a lot. And plenty of sarcasm too." "Me too."

"Taeng just won't answer me most of the time." "That's better than being snapped at."

"Or yelled at by Fany."

The four exchanged grins before continuing their conversation. "So what do we do about it?"

"I hate seeing Fany this miserable." "Me too."

"Taeng still wears her wedding ring around her neck, you know. The one she got in Vegas."

"What?!"