Elena

The journey to Ellander had been uneventful. It had rained relentlessly, soaking Elena to the bone. She shivered in her saddle and clung desperately to her horse, trying to steal some warmth from its thick neck. She rather liked her horse. She wasn't as big as Roach but she was friendly and energetic. Elena didn't give her a name. She simply thought of her as 'Horse' and that was good enough for the pair of them.

It was still raining when they reached The Temple of Melitele. Geralt had told her that Melitele was one of the oldest and most worshiped goddesses in the northern kingdoms. She was the mother of fertility, nature, peace and love, amongst other things. Many young women lived in this temple under Nenneke's watchful guidance. They mostly would go on to become midwives, druids and healers.

The temple itself was vast; it was built against the mountain wall, it's grey stones almost hidden amongst the rocks. In the darkness, she couldn't tell where the temple started and where the mountain ended. Elena had to crane her neck back to look up at it. There were lights in a few windows, but no one came out to greet them. "Come," Geralt said, dismounting Roach. She followed suit, her legs stiff and sore, adding to the ache she felt in her whole being.
She followed him into a large stable, her numb body glad for shelter from the cold rain. She very much wanted to find the nearest bale of hay and sleep in it.
"Who are you?" A young woman's voice cut through darkness, abruptly snapping Elena out of her thoughts. She heard a flicker of flame and suddenly there was light. The young woman was dressed in a long, dark red robe. Holding a lantern at arms length, her expression grim.
"Don't be afraid," Geralt said in a voice she had heard him use with Roach, and at times with herself. "It's Geralt. I've come to see Nenneke."
A flicker of recognition flashed across the young woman's face.
"It's been a long time since Nenneke's spoke of you," she said. "You've been gone a long time Geralt. How many years?"
"Ten," he said.
"Nenneke speaks highly of you, which is odd considering you're a Witcher," the girl said thoughtfully. "But, I suppose if she trusts you, then so must I."
"Hmmph," Geralt sounded.
"I assume you know your way around the temple?" She asked, hanging the lantern on a metal hook. "You can leave your animals here. I'll tend to them."
"Thank you," Elena said. The young woman looked at her for the first time and smiled hesitantly. Geralt left the stables wordlessly, Elena trailing behind him.

He led them through the temples entrance, passing through a dense garden. Elena could hear water running close by somewhere but it was too dark to see. She kept close to him as he marched up a set of white marble stairs, and swung open two wooden doors.
They were standing in a large hall. It was decorated with white, marble floors, high stone ceilings, which were supported with thick pillars that were distanced evenly throughout the room. It would have been a cold room if it weren't for the many burning lamps and a great fireplace that dominated the top of the room. There was a woman standing by the fire, her back to them. She was short and stout, her curly, brown hair was messily put up. She was wearing a deep blue dress, it clung tightly to her thick waist.
"Hello Geralt," she spoke softly. The woman turned slowly, her expression warm and welcoming as she smiled first at Geralt and then turned her eyes to Elena. The woman made no move to approach them. Geralt placed a hand on Elena's elbow encouragingly, and led them closer to the fireplace.
"And who might you be child?" Nenneke's voice was soft and deep.
"I'm Elena," she said feeling suddenly shy, as she stretched out her arms to warm her hands in front of the fire.
"Welcome Elena, I'm Nenneke."
Nenneke had a certain mystery about her. Her eyes told Elena she held great power and knowledge. "What are you?" Nenneke asked curiously, her eyebrows furrowing slightly, stepping closer to Elena so she was within arms reach. Elena glanced nervously at Geralt, taken aback by the woman's forwardness. He smiled and nodded at her encouragingly.
"Uhm, I'm an Angel... Apparently." Even Elena didn't believe herself.
Nenneke turned on her heel to face Geralt, shooting him a curious look. Elena had no idea what it meant. "Are you certain?" She directed the question to Geralt.
"Khron believed she was. He was ready to kill for her power. But Elena stopped him, and she purged him of his magic," Geralt replied.
"Impossible! Khron was almost two hundred years old. Not even the most powerful of mages could have done such a thing," Nenneke scoffed.
"She did. And Elena is not a mage," Geralt said smugly.
Nenneke let out an exasperated sigh and turned back to Elena. Her muddy, brown eyes studying her scrupulously. "How did you take his powers? What spell did you use?" Nenneke asked doubtfully.
"I don't know. I don't remember..." Elena began.
"She didn't use any spells or incantations," Geralt interrupted. "The power she has is not from this world. It's like nothing we've ever seen. Khron himself said so."
Nenneke waved her hands at Geralt dismissively, making another doubtful noise.
"Angels haven't graced this earth in over three centuries. Why would one come back now?
It's not that I don't believe you. It just can't be possible," Nenneke put simply.
"However," she said, slowly walking around Elena- inspecting her from head to toe. "I can sense something powerful within you. And you do fit the description of an Angel, but that could just be coincidence. Angel or not, you certainly have potential for harnessing chaos. You'll stay here while we figure it out."

Nenneke stepped back from Elena and took in both of their appearances, and seemed to notice for the first time that their clothes were dripping rainwater on her floor. "Forgive me. You've had a long and dreary journey it would appear. You'll be wanting a change of clothes and food yes?" She asked, her eyes retuning to their previous friendly gaze.
"Please," Geralt said.
"Come," Nenneke said, as she walked away from the fire place. "You can rest tonight. Tomorrow morning, we'll perform the seance."
Elena didn't know what a seance was, and didn't particularly like the sound of it either.
But she made no complaint and followed behind them wordlessly.
"Will a seance really be necessary?" Geralt asked.
"Yes. Iola will show us Elena's destiny," Nenneke said firmly as she opened the door to a bedroom chamber. Geralt tensed slightly at her response. "Very well," he said stiffly.
"You can rest here. I'll have one of my students bring you up clothes and refreshments," Nenneke said, ushering them into the chamber and standing in the doorway. "It is good to see you Geralt," she said fondly, then closed the door.

Elena glanced at Geralt but he was still frowning at the closed door in which Nenneke had just departed from. She done a quick sweep of the room to find it was decorated very simply in comparison to Khron's castle. It looked very much like the last room they were in, except from the purple curtains that hung from ceiling to floor; A rich, fur rug was splayed across the floor in front of the fireplace; the bed was made of dark wood, with varying colours of purple sheets and pillows. She hadn't slept in a bed since that night with Geralt. Was it only just yesterday?
It felt like years ago she was safe, warm and blissfully content in his arms.
She stole another glance at him, he had moved silently towards the fire, his back facing her. He had been acting strange since she'd woken up in the woods. She couldn't quite put a finger on it but she wasn't going to press it any further tonight.

She began to peel herself out of her sodden clothes. She wrapped herself up in one of the sheets from the bed- it felt soft and warm against her skin. She snuggled into it as she went to hang up her wet clothes in front of the fire.
Geralt was staring intently into the flames, it's shadows dancing across his fine features. He was wearing a concerning expression that made Elena's stomach knot.
"Come to bed," she said softly, laying her hand cautiously on his upper arm. He turned to look at her, his golden eyes softening as they met hers. He is so handsome, heart squeezing almost painfully at the sight of him.
Without any further discussion, he started taking his clothes off. Elena fetched him a sheet from the bed and handed it to him.
"Thank you," he said, taking the cover from her, their fingers touching briefly. It was only the smallest of touches but it still sent a tingle of electricity up her arm and into her heart.
They smiled shyly at one another, as he pulled the cover around his broad shoulders.
There was a light knock at the door and then a different young woman came in the room. She was dressed the same as the girl from the stable, and wore the same expression on her face. The only difference was this girls hair was honey blonde and it waved prettily to her shoulders. She came bearing clothes and food as promised. She deposited them neatly on the wooden table closest to the door, gave them a shy smile, and then quickly left. "We'll eat in bed," He said, as he fetched the silver tray of food from the table. Elena sat on the bed obligingly.

The food they received was simple but satisfying. They ate warm bread with cheese, and washed it down with wine. Geralt had remained quiet and thoughtful as they ate.
The silence was becoming too suspenseful for Elena's liking but she was afraid to ask him what was bothering him.
"What's on your mind?" Elena asked, finally plucking up the courage. He didn't answer her immediately, he just watched her for a moment. His eyes roaming over her face and lingering on her bare shoulders.
"Sleep. We should get some," he quipped.
He was avoiding her question but he wasn't wrong. Elena was exhausted, so she would let him evade her tonight.
"Fine. Let's get comfortable," she said, plopping herself back into the soft pillows. She stretched out her arms towards him, inviting him into them. She kept them open this way until he had cleared the bed of their supper and then he crawled into her arms. She sighed happily as he wrapped her up in a tight embrace, their sheets mingling together. She nestled closer to his chest, taking in a deep breath of his woodsy scent which was tinged with sweat. It was quickly becoming her favourite smell in the world. She closed her eyes, and gave herself up blissfully to the darkness.
"Goodnight Elena," was the last thing she remembered, and his mouth pressing softly against her forehead.