12 - Confronting Ronin

The night wind blew through the open doors of Ronin's Shop. He was stooped over his desk, counting coins from the bags Axel have him. He knew that if the Police Commissioner found out Ronin had a sudden financial boost, he'd be in prison again in no time.

Suddenly, he heard the quiet steps of what he assumed to be six teenagers. He stopped counting the cash and held one coin between his forefinger and thumb. He stayed quiet.

Shadows were cast across the concrete floor as the ninja stopped in the shop's doorway.

"Alright, Ronin. We know what you did." Lloyd started.

Ronin kept silent for a few seconds before replying in an ominously calm voice, "What did I do?".

"What did you do with Jupiter? Why were you at the Tea Shop this late?" Nya raised her voice. She pointed her spear in Ronin's direction; his back was still turned.

He scoffed. "Who's Jupiter again? The purple one?"

"It's lilac. Purple just so happens to be Nelson." Jay corrected him. The ninja had their weapons on hand, ready to get answers from the crook.

Finally, he turned around in his chair to face the ninja, still holding the gold coin tight in his grasp.
"I'm afraid I can't tell you kids anything. It's for my own good - and yours too."

"Our own good? You did something to one of our friends! Just spill it!" Cole was becoming impatient. He stormed across the concrete space and threatened him with his hammer.

Shame flashed across Ronin's eyes for a split second. He was well aware of the consequences that he'd deal with if he confessed, but it was the right thing to do, wasn't it?

Ronin took a deep breath before letting it all out.

"Okay! Fine! Let me explain." He rested the gold coin on the desk next to the rest of his bounty and began talking.

"I made a deal with this guy- Axel. He said he's from out of town and needed to get into contact with Jupiter for some reason. I mentioned that I was close with the ninja so he was quick to offer a deal; bring him Jupiter and he'd give me some cash. So I brought them both to Steep Wisdom. He posed as a journalist but when she arrived, Axel told me to knock her out."

"Woah-Knock her out!? What then?" Kai's eyes were wide with shock.

"I'm not entirely sure. He handed me the money and told me to leave and not tell anybody. So there. I ain't the guy you're looking for. It's Axel."

"Do you know where he went? Did he mention anything?" Zane enquired. Ronin scratched his stubbly beard.

"Not really. I've only known him for less than a day, but I can tell you, he sure is secretive."

Jay looked at his team and said, "Well, whoever this Axel guy is, he is gonna pay for what he did. I have a feeling this has something to do with the attack at the studio."

"I think you're on to something, Jay." Lloyd turned back to Ronin with a disapproved look. "Is there anything else you wanna say before we leave?"

He was quiet again, but soon spoke in a low voice.

"I said he posed as a journalist, right? Well, before he kicked me out, I grabbed this off the clutter on his table."

From under his desk, he pulled out a shabby notebook, an old leather one.

"I haven't opened yet, but I had a feeling that you guys would be onto the case sooner or later, so might as well grab some evidence."

"Woah, I can't believe I'm saying this but, thanks! Perhaps this'll give us some clues." Nya took the book off Ronin's hands.

"No problem. Just know I'm taking a bullet for you guys right now; as soon as Axel finds out his book's missing, he'll know I took it." He paused and eyed the six ninja.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to do it, but without this money, I could lose my shop. I hope you find your friend."

Lloyd nodded at Ronin and gestured to the ninja.
"Let's go, guys."

And with that being said, they left Ronin to his own company, in his gloomy shop.