Ch. 2-Friends

I opened the door slowly as Ms. Jackson walked back down the hall. I stepped into the room and was surprised to say the least. The room was about twice the size of my room back home. Two twin-sized beds were in the room but I could tell that everything was equal. There were two dressers, a trunk at the foot of each bed, four doors which probably had two bathrooms and closets, two chairs, two desks, and on the end of the room was a window. What really captured my attention was the bed closest to the door.

It had a red and orange scheme but the pillows were salt and peppershaker shaped. On top of the bed was a signed picture of Emril and the room smelled of different spices. Whoever was my roommate must like to cook or something. Since I'm not one to judge so easily I made my way to my bed. It was silver and gray and nothing was too fancy. I sat on the bed and looked out my window. I saw a few kids hanging around in what looked like a courtyard.

This school seems a little weird. Sure it's a school to train unwanted kids to spies but even I have a hard time believing that's all they want. I opened the student manual and for the most part it seemed normal. Don't break curfew which was from nine to five, class was from Monday to Saturday, clothing must be worn appropriately, failure to complete any class at the end of the year with a D average will result in suspension or expulsions as handled by the principle, Ms. Kimi, make friends, and that this school could provide the chances of a life time were the major points in the manual.

I picked up my schedule and noticed that tomorrow would be Saturday and I'm sure I would be expected to be in class. I got up and walked to the closet closest to my bed. When I opened it, I found clothing in my size. The closet was mostly filled with uniforms. I had a few red plaid short skorts, a pair of red plaid pants, a red plaid skirt, a tight black shirt with the school's crest in red on the right pocket, a red plaid vest, and a red plaid blazer. There were a few pairs of shoes at the bottom and a few outfits of normal clothes I guess for Sundays. I pulled out a skort, black shirt, jacket, and black ankle boots.

I walked back to my bed and laid back. This could not be happening to me. I picked up my purse and the unopened letter fell out. I never opened the letter from Alexi, my father. The whole reason I was alone with nothing to my name was because he left the country. My house was robbed shortly after that so I roamed the streets until my friend, Bridge also known as Lalita, let my crash at her place. My life wasn't easy because I mostly killed for my father. I thought I would be the one leaving him one day but it's funny how life works out.

I felt my purse and carefully ripped the seam a little. I sighed in relief at what I saw. I don't know if Ms. Jackson left this in here or what but inside the seam of my purse was a very small dagger that my father gave me. It was the first weapon that Alexi gave me and I killed a lot of people with it. That is a story on its own.

I sat back and closed my eyes. I left my life and I only realized that when I lay in a strange bed. I'm in this nice bubble but when will it pop? When will I be sent back to the world I belong? I didn't cry though. I'm not a person of tears and I didn't dream as I slept. I just want to keep this dream perfect for as long as I can.

***************************

I opened my eyes to see a girl staring at me. I sat up and really took in her features. She had long brown hair in two pigtails, amber eyes filled with curiosity, a baby face, and a slim frame. "Did I disturb you," she asked in a quiet voice. "No...is this your room," I asked and the girl nodded. "I'm your new roommate. My name's Eve by the way," I said. "Fran," she whispered and got off the bed. She walked toward me and looked me in the eye to the point that I got really uncomfortable.

"Come with me," she said simply and grabbed my hand. She led me out the door and I cursed silently because I left my purse. "Where are we going," I asked as she knocked on a door. I looked around and Fran must have led me to the other side of the castle. A tall, African American boy with a low haircut and a slim but muscular frame opened the door. "Who's your new friend Fran," he asked. "Eve. Roommate," she said and pulled me into the boy's room.