Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24

"Unfortunately, it isn't certain that the Central Australia excursion will continue due to lack of participants. But to all those people who have paid for it, don't worry, you'll get a full refund if it doesn't happen."

"You've got to be kidding me," I sighed in disbelief, after listening to Mr Swan read out the announcements in the school assembly.

"That's complete bull!" Justine exclaimed, slumping her oversized schoolbag over her broad shoulder. "It better happen"

"It better," Brooke exclaimed "-we all need to do the outback challenge that Hannah and Troye did. I've always wanted to do it! Then I'll post it onto my Youtube channel and be like 'yeah'!"

Clearly we were nervous as to whether the excursion was going to take place or not, which was only natural considering it was a chance to roam the outback with friends instead of completing school work. I doubt there'd be many people choosing work over adventure.

But on the other hand, we'd be getting a full refund, which would give my Mum a few hundred dollars to put towards the continuously piling up bills. It could also mean it was no longer necessary for me to work which in return would cause me to debate whether I should continue for extra pocket money or stop for more personal time. Decisions, decisions.

Justine, Brooke and I proceeded strolling through the school grounds buzzing with other students and decided to settle ourselves underneath the shade of an unoccupied tree. It's leaves flourished and the flower buds had blossomed into quaint and delicate ivory flowers. Spring was truly a beautiful time.

Though it was such a beautiful sight, fears still seemed to seep through my cracks. I feared to face Sophina, Nikita and Nate. Though from what I heard the day before, Sophina wasn't remotely interested in 'punishing' me anymore, which I could only hope to be true. I didn't want anything to do with her for awhile. Her faked personality around a lot of people scared me. Just how many other people were like her? Pretending to be someone 'likeable' when in reality they're judging and hating on you behind your back. 

"You right there, Tiff-Tiff?" Kim asked curiously, as she skipped over to our group. 

What?

Then I finally realized how aloft I would've appeared while I was stuck in thought. Stuck in a swirl pool of emotions. 

"I'm alright. What about you?"

"Yeah, pretty good. Leo is so sweet."

"Isn't he always?" Justine jokingly rolled her eyes. "I mean he's your boyfriend. That's what they are suppose to be."

Kim and the rest of us laughed. It was good to have positive company around. It was like a fresh breath of air, especially with all the unsettling commotion happening recently. I was pretty sure I made Xander upset since he couldn't look me straight in the eye on the bus. I needed to straighten it out, but I assumed he needed a little space away from me first. That was why I wasn't tutoring that lunch.

"Hey, Tiffany, you hardly hang out with us anymore," Justine pointed out. "Usually you're off reading your books."

Only a pinch of friends knew the truth about my tutoring and involvement with Xander. I was anxious of what the others would think of it all. I was scared that they'd assume that I ditched them for a boy, though he was a close 'friend' to me as well. But as usual, I wanted to be honest. They were my friends after all, I trusted them. Truthfully, I hated keeping this from them in the first place.

"About that," I quietly explained, "I think you guys should know that I've really been tutoring Xander Johnson. I'm sorry I should've told you guys sooner. Principal Swan asked me to do it, so I did. I prefer to keep this between us though..."