Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

I simply wanted one thing. 

A happy family. 

I didn't even need to step into my house for my ears to start aching; their yelling echoed through the street. There yelling was once embarrassing, but overtime I just learnt to push most of my feelings back. As a walked down the street the neighbours gave me a look of pity, but pity wasn't something I needed. Pity wasn't going to stop them. I stared down at my feet to avoid their looks.

My parents hadn't been on good terms for quite awhile, but they refused to get a divorce since money was so tight. I felt fortunate that I didn't have any siblings that had to experience what I had, but I would've liked the company and understanding from a loving brother or sister.

I sighed sadly and stuck to my regular weekday routine. I silently snuck into the house so I didn't interfere with their argument, grabbed a few snacks and drinks and stuffed them into my backpack along with other 'essentials' before making my way out the door once again.

"How can you do this to your own family?" my mum screamed in frustration at my dad, as I leaned against the front door listening in to their argument. "How heartless are you?"

"GET OUT OF MY FUCKING FACE!" My dad spat out in anger, which was followed by a door slam that made me jump in fright.

"If you want her so much than leave!" my mum cried in despair, though she knew that he wouldn't leave.

This wasn't news to me. My dad had been having an affair, leaving my mum distressed and heartbroken. Though I was furious with my dad with the way he's been treating us, I couldn't hate him. He's me dad, which made me feel even worse. It broke my heart that I had to see the both of them in such an unhappy state. I hated that I felt like I was a burden and knowing that I couldn't do anything to stop it broke me even more.

Fighting back the salty tears, I walked off down the street with my bag pack slung around my shoulder. I strolled through the silent, unoccupied streets while my mind was whirling in deep, sad thoughts. 

Finally convincing myself that I should focus on my study, I sat right in the middle of the park oval and set out my homework, stationery and snacks. No one ever used the park field in town, probably because there wasn't anyone in town that was actually interested in field sports. The town was made up of old retirees, busy people whom worked out of town or little primary kids who usually rode their bikes through the streets creating havoc.

While eating out of a plastic container of assorted berries and listening to the top 100 playlist through my phone, I flew through my maths and science homework and rewarded myself with my personal favourite 'legal' drug; books. Losing myself into the world of John Green's The Fault In Our Stars, I was alarmed when I checked the time. 

6:34pm.

I had been out for too long, the sun was already setting and it was getting really chilly. I was surprised how quickly and long I distracted myself from the reality of the world. Cursing under my breathe I rapidly stuffed my equipment back into my handy back pack and set off back home. Funny enough, the way I had swiftly packed and left reminded me of the encounter I had with Xander that day.

While powerwalking up the hill, I kept replaying the way he acted. I had no idea why I was thinking of him so much. I was probably just surprised that I had known him for so long yet never talked to him. I wanted to know why he was the way he is, but that would be pretty rude to ask. I just didn't know what to make of him.

Crossing the road without looking nor thinking twice I was alarmed when a car honked and revved past me, just missing me by an inch. Startled I jumped back and couldn't believe I nearly had myself run over thanks to my stupid actions. A chill went through me spine. It's weird how you realize you can easily die from unconscious or dumb actions. I took a quick glance at the car to see who had nearly run over me, but was shocked to see a certain someone's brown eyes looking into mine.