CHAPTER 2: Lab Partners

"Roll number 10 and 30, please go to the last shelf" Mr.Singh said assigning the shelves of the chemistry lab. 

I quickly moved to the last shelf and looked around for roll number 30. Somebody kept his things on the same shelf behind me. I turned around. Shaurya didn't look at me. He stood leaning against the shelf.

"You? Great!" I said loud enough for him to hear. He didn't say anything and kept turning the pages of his empty practical notebook.

What a weirdo!

"Hey look, I would appreciate if you cooperate rather than being a total dick to me" I said smiling.

"Do you ever stop talking?" He finally looked at me. It was the first time our eyes met. For a moment, I felt myself lost in those beautiful hazel eyes. I looked away.

"Okay children, each shelf has all the compounds you'll need for the experiment today. You will have to check for Ammonia in the given salt" Mr. Singh showed us the salt which he distributed to everyone. He told us how we had to make the original solution and add hydrochloric acid.

"Where's your kit?" I asked him.

"I didn't bring it.." He said.

"Use mine..." I gave him a spare test tube. I expected a thank you in return,  any normal person would have but this guy didn't utter a word. Whatever. I did as was indicated to us.

I was adding a reagent when I noticed something on his elbow. I kept my test tubes aside. I gently held his hand.

"Oh my God, that looks nasty. Where did you get that from?" I asked him looking at a bruise. It looked terrible.

"Don't touch me..." He said withdrawing his hand and stepping away. I could sense he panicked a little, his eyes widened.

"Shaurya it's okay..I.."

"You can't tell this to anybody. Do you understand me?" He said cutting me off and looking straight into my eyes.

"What? No. It's..." Before I could say something, the bell to the next class rang.

"I can't come over today. My aunt's here from NY" Reva said hurriedly packing her things.

"I'll see you on Monday then" I said. Reva made a dash out of the class.

"Shaurya, here you go, knock yourself out" I said handing over a gel to him. I usually kept it in my bag just in case I get a cramp during basketball.

"You're finding excuses to talk to me" He said a faint smile on his face.

"Don't be a dick. I am talking to you because you're my classmate and you're hurt" I scoffed.

He leaned forward and took it from me. Man, the bruise was a nasty one. It was all blue black.

"How did you get this?" I asked really concerned.

"Man do you ever shut up?"