Chapter 12: Aslan.

The fox had reached his home, near the oak tree. Their true rulers had arrived and so had Aslan. It was finally time for war with the White Witch.

"Pack light my friends." He said, as squirrels and birds ran to-and-fro, packing. He looked over to a squirrel and then nudged the wine bottle over to it, "but, not too light." He smirked.

The squirrel picked up the bottle with great difficulty- only to drop it, terrified of something behind the fox. The fox turned to see the White Witch, with her cronies- the dwarf and pack of wolves, that had attacked him, the night before. But what he hadn't expected to see- was the fourth Pevensie, King Edmund sitting in the witch's sleigh.

"Having a picnic?" The witch said, giving a cold smirk.

"Why.. yes, your majesty. And we couldn't have asked for a better guest of honour." The fox curtly replied, although, somewhat surprised by her sudden appearance.

"How gracious. And you were so helpful to my wolves last night. I was hoping, you might be able to assist me again."

She pointed her wand towards the fox and grazed his chin with it, her voice turning stern, "Where is Aslan? Where have they gone?" She glared at him, even more sternly and continued, gritting her teeth, "Where are His children?"

The fox gave the others a look of resolve, gulped and then looked back at the witch, "Aslan.. is back? Well, I suppose we should set another place.."

The White Witch just smiled tightly, "Such a charming creature. And such a dead one." She raised her wand to strike, only to be stopped by Edmund, who came between them.

"Wait! The Stone Table! The beavers said something about Aslan being at the Stone Table!" He said.

The fox dropped his head in shame as the witch said surprised, "Thank you Edmund, I'm glad these poor creatures were able to witness some honesty-"

Edmund sagged as the witch continued,
"-Before they die!!" She pierced the wooden table nearby, causing the magic to spread outward and the animals to turn to stone.

"NO!!!!"

The squirrels along with other creatures, turned into stone and the fox gave one last angry growl, before turning into stone too.

The Witch slapped Edmund, who had fallen to his knees, in dismay. She turned to Maugrim and his pack.

"They'll try and make for the river. Gather your swiftest wolves. It won't be easy, you'll need your best. None of them wouldn't be able to face the Spirit's power."

Maugrim just growled, satisfied and along with his pack, went away.

***

The Pevensies and Williams ran towards the direction of the river, as fast as they could, but still were too late. As expected the ice was slowly melting, making it even more difficult for the children to move. Even the frozen river that rose up high, alongside them, stood menacing, threatening to burst.

"Wait, maybe we should think about this!" Susan said.

"Think about this?" Hamish spat, angrily as it was clearly an inconvenient time to 'think' about it. He too knew, that it was a rash impulse to do everything so quickly, without thinking on an unknown island, listening to talking beavers, but they were clearly out of time.

"We don't have the time!" Peter exclaimed, looking at her.

"Peter, stop talking! We need to cross now!" Anna yelled at him, looking at the ice that was about to crack.