Chapter 3: Mr. Tumnus, the friendly fawn.

Lucy and Hamish tried to find a hiding spot together. For Hamish, it was difficult to run with the braces but he somehow accommodated. After going to the second floor, there was a curtain, large enough to hide the both of them, but before they could, Edmund shoved them aside.

"I was here first!" He proclaimed.

Lucy shot him an annoyed look before taking Hamish's hand and went to find another spot. They tried to find a spare room to hide but all the doors were jammed. Finally, Lucy managed to open a door to an empty room of the large countryside mansion. The room was almost empty with nothing but only one furniture covered in a large, white sheet. Curiously, Hamish went up to the tall object to remove the sheet which revealed a beautiful wardrobe. There were intricate carvings on the panels like that of a story.

"Come on, Hamish." Lucy said.

Since Peter was already in the sixties, so with a quick nod by Hamish, they climbed into the wardrobe. However, the scent of moth balls seemed to be overpowered by that of pine trees. The temperature inside the wardrobe had also decreased considerably. Lucy gasped, suddenly turning around to see tree branches in the wardrobe around the fur coats.

They looked behind themselves to discover that there was no end to the wardrobe but a winter fairyland. The land was covered with snow and pine trees looked so majestic and regal that it seemed as if they were in a dream.

They both saw a lamppost in the middle of the forest. It seemed.. peculiar and out of place. In fact, there weren't any other buildings or houses nearby.

Suddenly, the sounds of hooves crunching against the snow reached their ears. Lucy gasped again and hid behind Hamish. Hamish gulped nervously and took a step forward, the snow crushing underneath the weight of his shoes.

The sound of hooves approaching sped up all of a sudden and soon after that a very strange looking person emerged from among the pine trees into the light of the lamppost.

He looked normal except that he had ears like that of a deer and had goat legs instead of normal human legs.

"AAAAHHHH!!!!"

Both the children screamed in fright at the sight of him. Even Hamish who had read so many fantasy books, could not grasp the fact that a living, breathing fawn stood in front of him.

The fawn carried an umbrella and hid behind a tree, clearly afraid of them. Lucy gathering her courage, stepped out from behind Hamish and began collecting the groceries dropped by the fawn.

"Why are you hiding from us?" She asked carefully.

"Huh? Ummm.. n..n..no, I.. I.. I didn't want to s..scare y..you.." replied the fawn, fumbling, coming out from his hiding spot.

"If you don't mind me asking.. what are you exactly?" Hamish asked, even though deep down, he knew exactly what it was.

"Why, I'm a fawn! And you two must be some beardless dwarves?" The fawn said in a friendly manner.

Lucy answered for them, "I'm not a dwarf, and neither is he. I'm a girl and he is a boy. And actually I'm the tallest in my class!"

"But you're saying, that you are a Daughter of Eve and he, a Son of Adam?"

"Well.. my mum's name is Helen.." Lucy trailed off.

"And my father's name is John." Said Hamish, his sea-green eyes looking at the creature sharply but filled with wonder.

The fawn chuckled, "Yes.. Yes, but you are in fact, humans, right?"

"Of course" Lucy answered at the same time as Hamish said, "Obviously."