Chapter 4: The Escape.

Hamish and Lucy both slept soundly for almost three hours. Hamish was dreaming about a majestic lion and a beautiful light brown-haired, sea-green eyed woman who seemed to whispering something to him. It was all extremely blurry but he could somehow make out what she was saying.

"Run.. run, my dear one!"

However, he was broken from his deep slumber by a rather petrified Lucy.

"We should go.." she whispered and Hamish nodded at her, looking outside the window. Obviously, it was very late and both were sure that the game would already be over and their siblings would be searching for them, worriedly, around the mansion.

But before they could do anything, Mr. Tumnus said, "It's too late for that now.."

They turned to see the fawn sitting behind his chair, curled into a ball and wearing a gloomy expression.

"I'm such a terrible fawn.." he cried.

"Oh, no. You're the nicest fawn I've ever met." Lucy replied as the two walked to them.

"Then, I'm afraid you've had a very poor sampling", Mr. Tumnus said.

"I'm sure, you're very sorry and you'll never do it again", said Lucy as she kneeled next to him, handing him, her handkerchief.

"It's not something I've done, Lucy Pevensie. It's something I am doing" cried the fawn, wiping his tears.

"What are you doing?" Hamish asked, emphasising the 'are'.

"I'm kidnapping you." He said with a straight face. Hamish panicked and grabbed Lucy's hand, ready to run, the woman's voice echoing in his mind.

"It's the White Witch", Mr. Tumnus explained. "The one that makes it always winter and never Christmas. She told me if I ever was to come across a Son Of Adam or a Daughter Of Eve, I'm supposed to turn them over to her."

"But I thought you were my friend.." said Lucy, her voice breaking.

Mr. Tumnus looked at the two of them. Lucy was scared and as if about to cry and Hamish looked at him with a hardened expression. He conducted an internal debate in his mind and got up, wrapping his red scarf around his neck. He grabbed their hand and rushed outside the house, into the harsh, cold woods towards the lamppost.

Hamish was struggling under the fawn's grip for two reasons- First, to stay away from the man who he thought was trying to kidnap him and Second, that his legs were clearly not used to running.

"Now, she may already know you're here" announced Mr. Tumnus when they reached the lamppost. "You must move as quietly as possible, the woods are full of her spies. Even some of the trees.. Can you two find your way back from here?"

Hamish looked at him, panting and extremely shocked and Lucy looked thankful.

"I think so" she said.

Mr. Tumnus started to return her handkerchief, but Lucy just smiled at him and said, "Keep it. You need it more than I do."

The fawn smiled back, taking their hands in his and said, "NO matter what happens,  Lucy Pevensie and Hamish Williams, I am glad to have met you two. You have made me feel warmer than I've felt in a hundred years. Now go.. GO!"

"Be safe." Hamish said, now grateful, as he took Lucy's hand and tried to find their way back to the wardrobe.