Chapter fourteen

I know.... It's been more than a yet since my last update, although it doesn't feel like it because I think about this story all the time, just haven't put pen to paper. Bare with me people.

Also half way through writing this I noticed I was doing it It in 3rd person. The rest of the story obviously isn't so if you find anything confusing, sorry

----------------------------------------

Being in his room was different than seeing it from the window. Boxes were scattered across the floor and clothes everywhere.

"So...what are doing?"

"We're gunna do a trade. Your going to teach me how to play guitar, and I'm going to teach you how to play the piano." His smile was so genuine that it almost crushed me that I was going to shoot him down.

"Umm... I've already had piano lessons and it didn't really work out too well."

"Thats because you weren't taught the right way. Trust me," he said with another heart-melting smile

"Alright," I said as I gave in, and then after a second thought added, "but I get frustrated really easily, so remember: you brought this on yourselves, Bud."

He laughed and took a seat on the piano bench next to the baby grand, and patted what little space he had next to him on the bench.

Hesitantly, I took the seat next to him.

"Okay, show me what you know."

I stretched out my hands and positioned them at middle C. The keys under my fingers felt unnatural, alien to me. I slowly started pressing down on the keys, the notes sounded broken from my influent rhythm.

Grimacing, I halted my playing and looked up at him. "I'm not sure there's much hope for me."

"Oh, come on. It wasn't that bad. All you need to do is think of where your fingers are going before you hit the note. You also need to play a song you actually like."

After a couple minutes they agreed on doing Three Cheers For Five Years by Mayday Parade.

It was also after a couple minutes that I became completely infuriated. "I can't play the dumb song!" I exclaimed hitting him on the shoulder as if it would prove some kind of point.

"Of course you can! Here, I'm going to put my hands on top of your so you get the rhythm."

This was normal to me. When I took lessons my teacher frequently adjusted my hand positions. On many occasions she even put her hands below my neck and lower back to try to improve my posture that was past saving.

He gently set his hands over mine. His arms stretched around mine, he began to press our fingers down.

It seemed easy with him helping, natural in a way that had been opposite before. The song came to a close and we were both silent.

I had enough for one day. As pretty as it sounded with his help, if I tried to attempt it on my own it would have sounded like a bird that got ran over by a car. "Now it's my turn." I got up and traveled across the room to get my baby. I put the strap over my shoulder and strummed a few strings to make sure it was in tune.

"This usually works better if both people have guitars so you can mimic my hand placement. Alright we're just going to learn some cords." I positioned my hands on the second fret and showed him a G. "This is one of the most commonly used cords and the majority of beginner songs use it."

I handed the guitar over to him, I smiled as he tried to remember what I'd just shown him. "No, no that finger goes on E, and that finger goes on little e."

"Why would they name two strings the same thing?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "It's like the piano, the only names the keys have are CDEFGAB"

I moved his fingers into the right position, "okay now strum down." The note didn't sound right. "You have to press your fingers down harder."

"But it hurts!" He said sounded astonishingly like my eight year old sister.

I laughed, "Perfections pain."

After a little while more, he began to get it, and I showed him more notes.

"Alright you can be done with the torture for today."

He gave me my guitar back and I set it on his bed with the neck out.

"Can you play me the song from the other day?" I asked him.

"I still haven't finished it, and I've only added a little more."

"Thats alright" I said encouraging him.

I laid back on his bed, making myself comfy. I closed my eyes and listened. It was more upbeat than I remember, but just as beautiful.

He stopped playing and came to sit down next to me. I sat up and asked him. "Do want to tell me the real reason you were beat up today?"

His green eyes casted down. "I know I told you I didn't know who it was, but I did. It was the brother of the guy that I put into a coma. I didn't even fight back." He looked so broke. And disappointed in himself. It was the first time I think I've seen true self hatred in a person.

I moved forward and hesitantly hugged him. I'm not by any means a hugger, but he looked like he was in need on one.

Luke didn't hesitate to hug me back, and we just sat there for I don't know how long.

The only thing I could think of was how was I suppose to avoid him now?

I just knew I had too. I wasn't going to be responsible for breaking this boy even more.

----------------------------------------

Short and kid of boring I know, but let me know what you think, even if you hate it:)

Also wrote this on my phone and sometimes auto correct likes to throw in it's own words, so sorry for any mistakes.