20: Sleepover Without the Sleep

▂▂▂▂▂▂
Aurora ☪︎
▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter 20:
Sleepover Without the Sleep [Edited]

"You're kidding me?" I ask in disbelief, staring at my two roommates who're right outside our dorm with bug spray in hand. I'd just come back from my last class for the day, exhausted and ready to knock out.

"I don't know where they even came from. I haven't been making a mess, I swear." Emrie states firmly, standing her ground. She's the one who brings a lot of snacks in and doesn't really have a record of keeping her things organized.

"Well, it doesn't really matter how they got here anymore. We just need to finish dealing with it so we can move on," Nisha replies cooly before opening the door again. I can tell she's annoyed, not exactly at Emrie or I, but just the situation. We all get hit with the strong smell of harsh chemicals. It is disgusting, worse than a trash bin. I even start getting that dizzy feeling again.

"Come on, get whatever's important and pack some clothes, no way are we staying here tonight," She adds on, already pulling out some of her clothes to put in her backpack. Emrie and I look at each other before following her actions, scrunching our noses in distaste.

"So... where are we gonna go? Do they have another dorm for us?" I ask, by they I mean our advisor. I obviously don't have a parent's home I can conveniently go to and stay the night or anything like that. Unless my roommates are allowing me to go with them or if we're being moved to a temporary place, I have nowhere.

Emrie snorts at my question before replying, "It's Berkeley, if we barely managed to get a spot at a dorm at the beginning of the year, I doubt there are any extra dorms here that we can crash."

"My parents are driving down here from Sac to pick me up. Do you guys need a place to stay? They'd be more than happy to have you guys over." Nisha zips up her backpack, the first to finish. She reaches over her bed to grab her phone, plugging her nose.

"It's good, I'm gonna stay with Irene. Perfect opportunity. We haven't seen each other in a while."

I zip up my things as well before turning back around to see both of them are done. We don't hesitate to get out of our room, Nisha quickly spraying the room once more as a precaution. As I was walking out the door I spot some of the dying roaches in the corner which sends shivers down my spine. They're gross.

"Do you mind, I don't exactly have anywhere else to go," I ask sheepishly, my face warms as I don't have anywhere else to go unlike my two roommates. I don't want to be an inconvenience with anyone.

"Yeah, totally. My parents are entertainers, they love people." I get a text notification from my phone which makes me look down to the items I'm carrying in my arms. I glance at the text to see that it's Theo but my notebook instantly catches my attention. I frown, immediately remembering I have a class tomorrow at eight.

"What?" They ask, seeing my mood drop.

"I have a class tomorrow." I groan, pressing a hand on my face and dragging it down. "At eight."

"Oh... shit," Emrie responds, looking at Nisha awkwardly, unsure what else to say.

Nisha stares at me, those gears in her head are moving, trying to figure out a solution on the spot. "I can take you back early in the morning. I'll drive and I mean we have to come back the next day anyway to clean up the bugs."

I bite my lip, feeling guilty for making her wake up early just so I can get to class. It's over an hour drive too. "I don't know... I feel bad, " I reply hesitantly.