01: Everything Happens for a Reason

▂▂▂▂▂▂
Aurora ☪︎
▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter 01:  Everything Happens for a Reason [Edited]

Everything happens for a reason. At least that's what people like myself would like to think. People like me who need it to have a spark of hope that something good will come out of it.

I've always had this mindset since I was a little girl. Every time something bad would happen, I would remind myself it happened for a reason. Maybe not a good one at the moment, but a reason nonetheless. That whoever controls my life is doing this for an end goal. So when it's 3 a.m. and I'm working in a small diner ten minutes away from campus with a couple of my classmates coming in, I'm hoping it'll be for a good cause.

I set the cloth down on the table and hastily wipe my hands on my apron. Kelly, a working mother of two, and I are the only ones who can take the late shift so we're in charge of everything. She's been working here much longer than I have for the past month, perhaps years.

I tie up my black hair into a high ponytail yet the ends still fall about three to four inches past my shoulders. Picking up the notepad and pen, I make my way over to the familiar blue-haired boy and his friend. His obnoxious, overly pastel hair is not something you see every day.

"Welcome to Diana's Diner. What would you like to order today?" I ask, mustering the most cheery voice I can during this hour. I don't know them very well, which is why I have to use that rehearsed line. I usually pass by them in class to get to my seat a few rows ahead. People also tend to tip better if I act all enthusiastic around them.

The blue-haired boy looks up at me, grinning, a smile way too big for this hour. His unbelievably bright blue eyes stare at me for a brief second before looking back at his menu. I take this chance to get a better look at him.

His skin is pale and decorated with a few tattoos on his left forearm. His white polo shirt that hugs his skin makes all the dark ink stand out more. I don't pay too much attention to his face. Even though he is attractive, I can't get over the hair. You don't see people with blue hair very often, and if you do they usually can't pull it off. He can.

"Okay, let me get the classic burger with fries and a side of mozzarella sticks," His friend with blonde hair says which makes me switch my attention to him while I scribble it down. "Oh, add in a Pepsi, too."

My eyes widen significantly when I finally look up, seeing a nasty bruise on his cheek. I trail down to his hands which are grasping the menu and they're bruised up too. They seem pretty recent seeing that it's only red and hasn't faded into purple quite yet.

"Bar fight," The blue-haired boy speaks up, noticing my stare. There's a slight English accent to his voice, almost unnoticeable. I make myself look away and back towards him before nodding. It's not my business. Though, now that he mentions it, I notice the light smell of alcohol on both of them, which I try not to cringe at.

"What about you?" I ask, redirecting the topic to the task I have at hand, waitressing. I still have time before applying to internships so having a job in the meantime seems like a good plan.

"Chicken and waffles, Caesar salad, and root beer." He nods over to me and I write them down right under his friend's order.

"Alright, they'll come right up," I say, slipping the pen in my pocket. I start walking away, not find it necessary to stay any longer.