17: I Like You Too

▂▂▂▂▂▂
Aurora ☪︎
▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter 17:
I Like You Too [Edited]

When I got back from L.A. a couple of weeks ago, my mom and I had a long conversation about it all. I know she's happy that I'm getting along with them. I remember when she used to blame herself for me not having a father figure around and would think I would eventually blame her as I got older. How could I? He was the one that left, and there was nothing she could have done to prevent any of it.

I've picked up a couple of extra shifts at the diner, seeing as one of my co-workers quit and they need some extra help. I don't mind it, I mean I got nothing else to do during the night so I might as well use it as an opportunity to earn money. I start to think about how I'll be able to balance my school and work life, but my thoughts get interrupted by a phone call.

"Hi, guys." I wave to my half siblings through the Instagram video call. Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone so FaceTime doesn't exist for me. They've insisted on getting me one but I just can't accept that. It's too much and I would be uncomfortable having something so expensive that someone else bought for me, especially people who I don't know all that well.

"Hi!" Both kids chirp through the phone. They have on their outside clothes like they're about to go somewhere.

"Where are you guys going?" I ask, starting the conversation. Talking to them on the phone is a little more awkward than talking to them in real life, I don't know why.

"We're gonna see Arya. She's sick in the hospital," Aubrey answers, scrunching up her nose. That wasn't the answer I was expecting but I nod. The name Arya sounds familiar, but I can't place the name with a face.

"Oh... I hope she gets better," I reply. "Don't you guys have your lessons today though?"

"Yeah, well, she's been sleeping for a long time. We don't need to go today," Jackson pipes in, trying to take the phone from Aubrey. "I want it!"

"Stop!" She shrieks, pulling the phone back. There's a knock on the door which makes me quickly get up to get it. "I'm gonna tell mommy."

"You guys are supposed to share the phone. Maybe put it in the middle and nobody touches it, yeah?" I suggest, frowning at their behavior. I know their parents would be upset to see them acting like this. Kids really have no sense of sharing. I wouldn't personally know, but then again I didn't have much to share anyway.

I look through the peephole before opening it, you never know who's gonna be behind the door. My heart quickens and a slow smile dances on my face. "Oh hey, Theo," I say caught off guard, I wasn't expecting him to come for at least another hour.

"Hey." He smiles before coming in, taking his shoes off before putting a brown bag on my desk. I close the door before taking a look at my room, thank god I cleaned it last night.

Before I can say anything else, more quarreling is heard through my phone making me look down for a second. "My siblings." I mouth to him before nodding understandingly, gesturing for me to keep doing what I'm doing. He mouths something back that I can't understand. I'm terrible at reading lips.

"What?"

"Is this a bad time?"

"Oh, no! You're fine." I pause, taking this time to give him a once over. He's wearing some sweats and a sweatshirt that gives him an effortless look that he pulls off well. "Literally," I mumble under my breath, realizing what I just said out loud I start to get red but he doesn't seem to have heard it.