19: May My Dream Life Be Forever

▂▂▂▂▂▂
Aurora ☪︎
▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter 19:
May My Dream Life Be Forever [Edited]

There's something about letting yourself be a little out of control that makes you feel so free. Your heart pounding so fast, you can feel it pulsing throughout your body. The way that your hair blows back from the force of the speed you're going, the deathly tight grip you have on the wheel, relaxing for a millisecond every now and then when you think it'll be over soon, but not quite. Then there's those little high pitched shrills and gasps that escape from your lips unexpectedly because you've never done this before and it feels so, so amazing.

That's me, at this very moment. I'm going so fast I can't even comprehend what had happened a mere second before and instead more focused on the now.

I see a blur of black and white, crossing the line and my body immediately relaxes as I slow to a stop. I pull myself out of the go kart and take my helmet off, swaying slightly. I turn behind me to see Theo copying my actions, shaking his headlight, and running his hand through his hair in an attempt to smooth it down.

A burst of giggles escape from my lips and I don't try to hide it as I walk over to him. "Your hair has never looked so good," I say sarcastically, tucking a piece of my own hair that got in front of my face.

He throws me a grin and a playful eye roll. "You wanna get some nachos or something? Before we go to our final spot."

I think about it for a moment, glancing at the food court. "Yeah sure, I'm paying for this though." I give him a pointed look as I start walking. He already paid for our dinner and got go-karts so the least I can do is buy some nachos for the guy.

"Hey, fine by me." He chuckles and catches up to me.   

☪︎

"No way." I laugh, my head touching the headrest as it falls back. "I'd be so embarrassed."

"Trust me, I was probably embarrassed enough for the both of us."

"At least you have a funny story to tell." I look on the brighter side of things. I mean despite the embarrassment and people laughing when you slipped in the mud, it still makes a kickass story. "My life is so boring compared to yours."

He glances at me for a second before focusing back on the road. "How so?" He lowers the volume of the song.

"Well," I start, giving myself a moment to think how deep I should go into it. I want to practice being transparent but I don't want to dim down the mood. I shrug. "It was just always school, work, and staring at my chipping wall for hours when I'm supposed to be sleeping. I don't have any other relatives around besides my mom and she's at work for most of the day so it was always just me."

"You didn't have anyone to talk to in school? You were in tennis and a couple of clubs though, right?" He questions.

I take a deep breath nodding, faintly remembering moments in tennis. They weren't horrible, but not quite memorable either. "Yeah, but it was only freshman year. Most of my teammates were upperclassmen, after I quit tennis to work I stopped hanging out with them. For clubs... I don't know, I guess I never just clicked with anyone."

"Wow." He lets out a long breath of air. He doesn't say anything for a little while, which makes me think the conversation ends there and I just made everything awkward. I slowly start regretting talking about it and put my arm over my eyes in annoyance.

"You've come so far though." His voice interrupts my internal battle which makes me drop my arm. "I mean here you are, in college, friends, reconnecting with family. This is some major change considering what, half a year ago looked totally different to you. It's impressive don't you think?"