Kayden's Birthday

Ianto opened his eyes the next morning and stretched. He rolled over only to find that Jack’s side of the bed was empty. He wondered briefly where he was and then smiled when he heard giggling from downstairs. He stood and slowly made his way down the stairs where he found Jack lying on the floor with Kayden who was laughing uncontrollably as Jack tickled him.

            “Someone’s in a good mood today,” Ianto said, leaning against the doorframe smiling.

            “Tad!” Kayden said loudly, getting up off the floor and running over to him.

            “Whoa, easy there birthday boy,” Ianto said as Kayden slammed into him, “Are you excited for today?”

            “Yeah!” Kayden shouted, “Daddy said we would eat then see the aminals!”

            “Animals, buddy, and that’s what we’re going to do. So why don’t you go sit down in front of the television while we make breakfast okay?”

            “Yeah!” Kayden said sitting in front of the television as Jack turning it onto Thomas the Tank Engine for him.

            Jack and Ianto proceeded to get ready for the day ahead. They gave Kayden his breakfast and then got ready to go to the zoo where they’d be meeting Rhiannon, Johnny, David, and Mica as well as Alice and Steven. They got dressed, Jack wearing his signature coat and Ianto, rather than wearing a suit, was in jeans and a baggy sweater. Despite it being warm out, they couldn’t risk UNIT finding out about the twins.

            They arrived at the zoo and met up with the others before wandering around for a bit. After a while, Alice noticed that Jack was walking behind everyone else and slowed down to join him.

            “Everything alright?” Alice asked him.

            “Yeah, yeah, just thinking,” Jack said, smiling at her.

            “About…?” Alice prompted him.

            “I’m glad you and Steven are here,” he told her. She smiled at him, knowing it wasn’t always easy for him to say what he was feeling.

            “So am I,” she said, “Now let’s catch up with the others before they wonder where we’ve gone.” They caught up with the rest of the group and continued walking around. Around 4:30 they decided to head back to Jack and Ianto’s place to start making dinner before the rest of the team got there. At 6:30 Owen and Tosh got there with Daniel.

            “Hey Jack, Tea-Boy,” Owen said, grinning at them, “Gwen and Rhys here yet?”

            “No, they called about an hour ago and said they couldn’t make it cause Gwen’s not feeling well,” Ianto told them. Owen and Tosh nodded in understanding and went into the other room to join the rest of the group.

            The night passed quickly; after they had dinner they ate the cake that Alice had picked up. Not long after, everyone left; Alice had work the next morning, Mica had fallen asleep, and it was already an hour past Daniel’s bedtime. That left Jack and Ianto to watch their now two year old son open his presents. All of which were something to do with Thomas the Train.

            Finally, when Kayden was in bed, Jack and Ianto sat down to watch a film together. Both of them were finding it hard to believe that their son was already two.