CHAPTER 11

Nadine just laughed nervously and broke their hug. Medyo dinagdagan niya ang distansya sa pagitan nila. Parang nag-iba kasi bigla ang ihip ng hangin sa paligid. No one spoke for a while after that. Nakatingin na lamang sila pareho sa pagkislap ng tubig sa pool, tila kapwa malalim ang iniisip.

Huminga siya ng malalim at nagpasyang na magpapaalam na kay Byron. Umaga ang flight niya bukas kaya maaga siya gigising. But when she turned to him, he was just looking down and shaking his head as if realizing something.

Pagkatapos ay napatingala pa ito sa langit at huminga ng malalim. Then his lips broke into a defeated smile.

She almost fell from her seat when he looked straight at her. God, she wanted to melt at the intensity of his stare. Ibinalik niya ang tingin sa unahan at itinuon ang pansin sa pagsayaw ng mga dahon sa puno habang kinakalma ang sarili.

"Uhmm, Byron, mauna na—"

"Nadz, when you left, I also realized another thing..."he started, still wearing that defeated smile of his.

"...I didn't want to admit it before..." Her instinct was telling her to go and run away now. But Byron held her hand and she noticed that she was already shaking.

God, she didn't want to but it was as if she can already hear the words forming on his mind and about to come out of his mouth. This is...frustrating. She can't handle whatever this is.

"Nadz..."

"No, no, no!" She stood up quickly.

"Nadz, I lo—"

"NO!"she cut him off immediately and began to walk away in no particular direction. All she knew is that she...needed to get away.

"Nadine! I love you!"Byron shouted, not minding the few hotel guests than can hear them. Napasinghap siya na parang sinaksak at napako saglit sa kinatatayuan. This can't be. She can't accept this.

Sa isang iglap ay parang hindi siya makahinga ng maayos.

"I think I've known that, deep down inside me, a long time ago. I just wasn't ready to accept it"

Napapikit siya nang mariin at pinigilan ang sariling harapin ito. She took a deep breath before speaking. Her voice sounded hysterical already.

"No, no! That's just...like some variation of Stockholm's syndrome or whatever! Yes! You were just so used to my presence that you thought you might be feeling something deeper when the truth is—"now it was his turn to cut her off.

He scoffed.

"Really, Nadz? Stockholm's?" She felt him tugging at her shoulder and the next thing she knew, she was face to face with him again. She wanted to close her eyes and cover her ears because she was afraid of hearing everything that he'll say next. But before she could do any of those, Byron already caught one of her hand while his other fingers held her chin up to imprison her in his gaze.