Look At Me

You hadn't seen him in almost a year, he had abandoned you on earth, next to a dead pub and a broken street light. You weren't even in the right part of the country, not that that mattered to him, nothing but himself mattered. It took you hours to convince someone to let you borrow their phone and when someone finally handed over their mobile, you called your sister and asked her to pick you up. She was beyond shocked when you told her what happened during the car ride back home, (s/n) had thought you and the Doctor were a power couple, she never expected him to leave you behind.

But he did and without even looking back.

Now you lived back in your apartment for one, your day to day job always waiting for you. Before you met the Doctor you were working as a neurosurgeon in your local hospital, the money was exceptional and your colleges were the only company you needed, so when you were deserted you went back to work. Unlike the man in the blue box you were saving lives without risking others, that thought alone made you happy but thinking of the Doctor always made you feel the opposite.

Many nights were spent moping, thinking about why he left you. Never once did you come close to an answer, not because you were stupid but because he gave you no reason to believe anything was wrong. The main thing that came to your head was River, you knew of their relationship but you never thought it would come between the two of you. Though the signs were completely obvious, the flirting, the touching...the marriage. Complexity wasn't something you weren't used to, your job was built on complexity, the whole of your life was but when it came to the Doctor everything got ten times harder to understand.

The hospital at which you worked was also the work place of Rory, he and Amy would often visit you and vice versa. They told stories of their adventures with the Doctor, the ones that happened after your abandonment, neither of them knew why the Doctor had left you either.

"(Y/n)." Amy jostles your shoulder, you jump from your makeshift bed on her sofa. You had stayed the night, Rory had finished his shift at the same time as you so he offered for you to stay at his instead of making the hour journey home, you were so tired you hadn't made it to the guest room.

"What, yes, hello." Amy laughs at your groggy state whilst you stand to your feet, you look to the clock on the wall. "Oh, shit. I'm going to be late."

Amy shakes her head. "You changed your shift remember, you don't start for another four hours." Your worry instantly fades away into nothing.

You pat Amy's shoulder. "You would make an excellent personal assistant, I have the money to pay." the red head laughs as she walks through to the kitchen, you follow behind her, instantly being drawn in by the smell of coffee.

Amy slaps your hand as you reach for the coffee pot. "Shower first, I washed your uniform that you left here last time, it's in the guest room." You roll your eyes but cast a smile her way.

"Thank you, mum." You head up the stairs and into the guest room, clothes are grabbed and a shower is started. Warm water and soap cleanses you of any grossness left behind from last nights shift, sure you were primarily a neurosurgeon but you didn't get many jobs in that category so you were mainly a usual surgeon or doctor on a ward. That mean that you had contact with way too many people, hand sanitiser was never enough.

You pull on your uniform and name tag, your hair is pulled back into a bun. Shoes are slipped on as you pass them by the bathroom door, you head back to the kitchen, unaware of the occupants.

"Can I have coffee now, mum, I have had a shower." your laugh is cut short as your eyes land upon him. "Buggar, my day was going well so far." you look between the Doctor and the coffee pot. "I'm going to start work earlier, thank you for letting me stay, Amy. Tell Rory I say bye."

"(y/n)." His voice stops you from moving but it doesn't turn you around. "Look at me."

"Why?" still you refuse to turn, to meet his eyes would be a mistake. "What will my eyes tell you that my words don't?"

He edges closer, his hand rests on your shoulder. "Eyes say everything words can't"

You shrug off his hand, "That why I choose to not look at you, I'll just be more disappointed than I was before." You hear him take a step back. "Now if you don't mind, I have lives in my hands."

Before you can make it to the door it is kicked open.