OLD VERSION Chapter 9

He takes slow deliberate steps and descends the metal staircase on the left side. I take a small step back. He's not a Handler. I know that immediately, he's dressed in a worn black bomber jacket open to reveal a black t-shirt, dark jeans and leather boots. I keep my eyes locked with his, light blue eyes under wild dark hair. Dangerous is the world that flashes across my mind. Hairs stand up on my neck and arms, another small step back.

His footsteps echo around the gymnasium and then fall silent as he reaches the concrete. His hands are stuff into his jacket, but I don't see any signs of a gun. So why is my body telling me to run? Then I realize what's off about him. His eyes, they are dead. There is no emotion, no spark, no life, when I search his gaze there is nothing to find. I swallow and take another step back.

"I'm afraid you can't get out that way." His feet are braced at shoulder width, his posture slouches, but something about him tells me he's coiled to attack.

"Yea? I don't think you can run fast enough to stop me from getting through that door. I walked in here...I can walk out."

"I wouldn't have considered that walking." I think it's supposed to be humor, but it's dead on his lips. I take another step back and he takes one forward. "Like I said, you can't get out that way."

I spin and go for the door. Only, there is no door. What was once a door is now a wall of ice clinging to the concrete like ivy. My spine prickles and my vision turns. When I turn and face the man, there is a glowing, blue aura pulsing around his body like a mist. "Misfit," I say. I've never seen another person like me, never met one, and never imagined what it would be like. But he pulses with his connection to water. There is one thing I don't understand, "Why are you helping them?"

"I'm helping myself." He says.

"What have I ever done to you?"

"Absolutely nothing." He takes a hand out of his pocket and holds it straight out. The water rises out of the troughs and comes spilling over the edges, running along the floor where it then rises to form a ball beneath his hand. "If you want to get out of here, you'll have to fight me."

My breath comes out short and quick. I've never fought before. Not really. I've done tricks and I've run, but I have never stood my ground and fought until there was only me standing over my defeated opponent. The thought scares me, I'm not ever sure I'm capable.

"No." I step back though there is nowhere to go.

"No? Then lay down and close your eyes, accept your fate." The water is still turning in a ball under his palm.

"No."

"There is no other option. Fight me or accept your fate."

"No."

"Fine if you refuse to-"

"-NO!" I sprint straight for him. He pulls up the water to block but I'm already there. I knock him off his feet using my shoulder. He goes down hard, hitting the concrete. I bolt for the stairs, grabbing the railing and pulling myself up. They are steeper than I expected, and the steps narrower.

Something wraps around my ankle and pulls my feet out from under me. I knees hit metal and my chin clips on the edge of a step, causing my teeth to draw blood from my lips. I kick and struggle but the hold on my ankle tightens and drags me down the steps roughly. My shirt rides up, metal scraping my exposed skin. Each drop rattles my bones. My hands reach out for the railing but something wraps around my wrist and pulls it away.

It's water. Tendrils of water are dragging me down the steps. My vision switches, the water glows, let me go! The water ripples from my command but doesn't loosen. I hit concrete and flip onto my back. I watch as the man draws closer. I use my left hand and grab the tendril of water trailing from my wrist. I hold the water as if it were a solid thing. Let me go! The water lets go of my wrist and wraps around my left hand and I fling it towards the other Misfit.