NEW VERSION Chapter 1

****AUTHORS NOTE:   HELLOOOOOO! (I've had a lot of coffee today, don't mind me). So as most of you have probably noticed on my profile these days you've been seeing a lot of "new versions" of old stories that I've written. That's because when I was originally on Wattpad I was posting as I was writing the story. Which resulted in VERY rough first draft stories that often went all over the place because nothing was really planned out. However, since posting my stories I've gone back and edited them and cleaned up the plot and made them, in my opinion, better. And Essence of Water is the same! So without further ado, I've decided to start posting the new version of this story. For now I'm keeping the old version here to. I hope you enjoy and let me know what you think!****** 

Drowning isn't as violent as it sounds.

One minute I was there, the next I was gone. There wasn't time for me to yell or wave my arms. My body decided for me that breathing and remaining conscious was far more important. So I sunk silently beneath the waves and watched the water darken as traces of the surface disappeared.

Four hours ago, when I was sitting on the stairs at my house, warm and comfortable talking on the phone, cliff diving sounded fun. Rag and Trish made it out like an adventure. Now I realize it may very well be my final adventure.

Normally, I'm a very good swimmer. It's one of the few things about me that I'm particularly proud of. It comes natural, like breathing does to others, but when Rag shoved me off the cliff fully clothed, I hadn't been ready. I hit the water wrong and the waves rolled in and shoved me straight into the rocks.

I'm running out of air. I hadn't caught a good breath to begin with, actually I was luckily I wasn't knocked unconscious when I hit my head. But, now my vision is turning red and my lungs are burning. My body is shutting down. Logic keeps me from taking a breath, but in a few moments my instincts will kick in and force me to breathe in a last attempt to survive. Except I know there's no air for me here, only water.

These are my thoughts as I sink further into the dark depths of the ocean. I don't pray. I don't struggle. I'm oddly disconnected from the panic that should be urging me to fight for my life. My vision splotches red and the pain becomes unbearable. I can't hold it any longer. I open my mouth and the taste of saltwater and fish washes over my tongue.

Voices are in my head, a man and a woman. "We can't quit what we've started," the female argues. "This is bigger than us."

"This isn't just about us anymore," the male argues back. "How could we possibly keep them safe? We can hardly keep ourselves safe!"

"We knew the risks," she says firmly. "I'm just as frightened as you are but we can't stop. We've come too far. Besides, there's always a chance that they aren't not going to be like us, there's always the chance they'll have a normal life."

The male snorts, "I think we both know better."

Needles prickle up my spine and settle at the base of my skull. My fingers tingle and a tremor shakes my entire body. The world flashes light to dark like someone is flipping a light switch on and off. My heart jumps to life in my chest and I take a sharp breath but there's only the grinding taste of salt and water against my tongue. Something pops like a gunshot inside my head and the pain seizes.

I float, suspended under the water while it glows like melted metal around me. I'm not dead. I should be dead but I feel charged like I've stuck a finger an electrical outlet—my blood burns hot.