OLD VERSION Chapter 28

***Sorry it took so long to update, I got sick after Christmas. Also sorry it's so short, I struggled for this chapter***

Spring is coming. The signs are barely noticeable, but they are there, in the quiet and dark of night I can hear the water dripping slowly down the rocks behind the cabin, as the days pass the snow begins to slip off the tops of trees. Like small avalanches the snow cascades down to the ground and over the rocks. Aiden and I sometimes sit on the porch and watch it happen. We've grown close, in all the small ways. We can't go long without us touching in one form or another. It doesn't take much, but we need to constantly reassure ourselves that we're real, alive and safe, and at peace.

There is still snow on the ground when Aiden and I discover more secrets about the cabin. By pure chance Aiden slips on a wet spot while carrying the wood in. The logs scatter, falling to the ground, one of them hits the floor, but the sound is hallowed. We both look at each other. Aiden forgets about the wood and together we drop to our knees and knock on the floor.

Again, there's that hollow sound. Without hesitation my vision flips and I push against the opposite side with the water. The floor pops and Aiden grabs onto the wood and pushes it open the rest of way.

"A trap door?" I ask aloud, I stick my head down but it's dark and cold.

"Let's see where it goes." Aiden jumps down and I gather a ball of water over my hand and follow. I expect to land immediately but there is a moment of unease in my stomach, like taking an extra step when there isn't one, before my feet hit the ground and I fall backward. I look up to the square patch of light above my head. It's further up than I expected. I would have to stand on Aiden's shoulder to get out that way, and I still might not be tall enough.

I find the water again and pull it to my hand. My vision flips and the water illuminates my surroundings like a crystal torch. "Aiden?"

"Over here." I push the ball of water to hover over our heads, Aiden's face appears out of the darkness.

"Are you alright?"

"Fine, luckily. We probably should have seen how far it was before we jumped."

"Probably," I admit.

"Looks like this is the only way out." I send the water a little further ahead, it lights our path. Cold stone rises suddenly around us and a deep cold settles on my body.

"I think the cabin must have been built to cover the entrance of this cave. It makes sense, if anyone were to stumble upon this cabin this would be a good exit strategy." Aiden slowly makes his way along the crevice. I look up but I can't see where the rocks come together. I feel like we're walking along a crack in a wall. The path is just wide enough for two people to walk together side by side, shoulder touching shoulder. But I walk behind Aiden, no reason to crowd.

The path begins to turn upward until the water stops. "It looks like a door."

Aiden reaches up and pushes. It groans and creeks but it opens and I follow him out into the sunlight. "Whoa," I say as we stand together. We're on the other side of the rock face; it stretches out all around us, and down below, over the edge, is the river.

"We've been out here before and I've never noticed that door."

Aiden flips the door back over and we both realize why. It's been camouflaged with moss and ivy. "Clever," Aiden says, leaving it shut.

"I'm glad we discovered this." I nod.

"Same." He stands and takes my hand, "Let's go back, it's cold out here."

Every time I step over the trap door I can't help but wonder what was going through my parent's heads when they built it. I wish I had more memories of them, but all I have is what they left me. And I've played those short sweet memories over and over in my head. I wish I knew their faces, I wish I knew their scares and their fears and their hopes.