OLD VERSION Chapter 27

****Think of this as a Christmas Special. Because it probably won't make the final cut. Merry Christams guys!****

I wake up wrapped in warmth, my nose full of pine, wood smoke, and something sharp. My ears full of a beating heart and a steady breath. I tighten my arms around Aiden's waist and his arms pull me closer against his chest. His chin rests on my head and his fingertips gently rub my shoulder. Two different blankets are pulled over us. The sheet is somewhere on the floor. The only pillow that managed to survive is folded under Aiden's head.

He smiles at me. It's a small smile, an enduring smile. His eyes aren't wild, but they are full of something. He pulls me closer and kisses me. His lips linger on mine and slowly pull away. The want that filled me before is still there. Less than before but I feel it brewing low in my stomach.

I smile back at Aiden.

A part of me cannot believe what I've just done. The other part wants more.

"You know," I say, my smile turning to a smirk. "I never really invited you back to this bed."

He raises his eyebrows. "No?"

"Pretty sure."

He sniffs. "I assumed it was an unspoken invitation."

"Oh I see."

He smiles. "I can leave."

I slip my hand around his neck and kiss him. I do it because I can. I do it because he wants me to. I do it because I want to. I pull away, "I want you here."

"I thought so," he says quietly. He kisses my chin and neck.

"The fire has died Aiden."

He pulls back his arms drop from my body. "Oh."

I hit his chest and roll my eyes. "Not like that you idiot, I mean the actually fire. It's cold in here."

"Well I think we could manage to stay warm."

"Oh no you don't, go feed the fire. I'm not stepping out of my bed into a cold room." I pull back, taking one of the blankets with me and point to the living room. He rolls his eyes and slips off the side of the bed, taking the other blanket with him. I can't help but admire the way his back looks when he walks away.

I drop back onto the pillow and close my eyes. I want to process what's just happened. What is happening, but my brain isn't with me. I should feel something other than this warmth but there isn't anything.

No fear.

No regret.

No anything.

Just warmth.

I smile, because maybe I've made it out the other side unscathed. I open my eyes and slide off the bed. I wrap the blanket around my body and slip to the bathroom while Aiden tries to bring the fire back to life.

When I finish I look at myself in the mirror. My eyes seem larger and my face is flushed. My hair is tangled and my scars on my shoulders are exposed. But I only see me, I actually see the Adie I used to look at every day. I've changed but I see myself staring back at me. And I like what I see.

When I come out Aiden is waiting outside the door. He slips past me and turns right when the door is almost about to shut. "Don't go anywhere." The door clicks and I shake my head.

The fire is popping and growing in the hearth. I grab our clothes off the floor and toss them into the bedroom. Then I glance out the window. The sky is darkening and the world is nothing but white. I'm not sure how long the storm will last, but I find that it doesn't matter. Aiden and I aren't going anywhere.