Chapter 55: Widows, am I right?

Luna let out a loud yawn as she stirred her tea. It was way too early in the day for her to be up. The sun was high on the sky, and her nocturnal rhythm refused to acknowledge this as the time of day to do anything. Still, her company required it and she couldn't complain since Noah was finally out in the open, having tea with her outside the Cocoa waves café near the town square.

"Couldn't you just... Not be up at night?" Noah asked skeptically as he poured more cinnamon onto his chocolate tea. "It's not like it matters what time it is in the underground, does it?"

"Most people are used to it by now." Luna shrugged, putting the teacup against her lips and quickly realizing how hot it was. "Ow! Anyway, it wouldn't work for the people who come and go. Like me. It's hard to manage my time when I'm both upstairs and downstairs."

Noah handed her the milk jug.

"You're gonna get exhausted sooner or later. You know, it's fine if you want to be down there. I'll manage."

Luna glanced around, seeing at least one couple looking at Noah as they walked by. Not the kind of stare that'd imply a positive conversation. There was always someone looking and she was getting sick of it. Noah seemed to have noticed as well, staring at his cup intently while lowering his head.

"I want to be here." Luna insisted. "You know we have so many dumb, sad years to catch up on. Besides, you'd be lonely if I wouldn't be around, wouldn't you? Father's always working."

"That's good though, isn't it? Or he would have caught on to your underground secret pretty quickly."

"Can't believe everyone's agreed to lie to him." Luna tapped the milk jug to make sure the last drop would land in the cup and smiled. "Even Anthony."

"Well, he's barely home either, so I'm not sure they talk a lot anyway."

"What The Waste could he be up to?" Luna frowned, and Noah shook his head.

"Not that I'm complaining. If he'd been home I probably would have to spend time with him. But yeah, it's a mystery. I mean, with that lack of personality what could he be occupied with?"

Luna handed the milk jug back.

"Beats me."

"Still wish you would tell Father at some point." Noah eyed Luna's milk-drenched tea with an arched eyebrow. "It'd be easier to spend time together if he did. I mean, they could come visit too. So you'd get to see them and I wouldn't have to be so... Bored."

"Yes yes... I will." Luna waved her hand dismissively. "I just... Dread it. He's gonna storm the underground for sure."

Noah chuckled.

"Well, in the time being I'm glad to see you happy." He looked down at his cup again. "You found a place where you belong. Like, where you feel like you belong. Not that you don't belong up here, just... You know what I mean."

Luna smiled, but her eye twitched. She'd tried to forget those harsh words he'd told her about not deserving friends that one time. It was a long time ago, and he'd been in a poor state. Why remind herself? And she certainly wouldn't remind him. She doubted he even remembered.

She still opened her mouth to say something. Something about her wishing for him to not be lonely as well. For him to find a place where he belonged. Of course she had offered for him to come to the underground as well, but he'd declined. His reasons seemed vague but he apparently wanted to stay on the surface.

"Luna!" a chirping voice suddenly called out, and Luna's blood curdled as she turned her head.

"Lady Marberry," she replied through clenched teeth as she acknowledged Catherine, followed by Eliza and surprisingly a reluctant Alexei. "How... Nice?"