Chapter 32: Messages

Luna shut the door to Tom and Richard's house behind her and beamed down at the book in her hands; A book about hypnotism. Tom had come across it through some secret source Luna eagerly wanted to know more about, and he'd thought she would find it interesting.

He'd been right of course. While Luna wasn't completely convinced hypnotism worked to such a degree some claimed, she still wanted to know how it was supposed to work in theory.

She'd just have to clean up that supernatural bookshelf of hers. It had been littered with quite an amount of other stuff since she'd last organized it, much like the rest of her room.

There was still time before supper so instead of walking home she steered her way towards the BBT mansion with a reluctant Vincent in tow. Her correspondence with her uncle had gone pretty smoothly since it'd started a year or so back, having the letters delivered to the aforementioned place so her father wouldn't know about it, but it had been some time since she'd heard from Uncle Seth, and she was curious to know why. Even when he'd found nothing he still wrote to her regularly to keep her updated and ask for more blood samples so this lack of communication seemed unusual.

They'd almost crossed the town square to head north when she spotted Noah further away, accompanied by Finn. Luna exhaled through her nose. She didn't like thinking about her fiancé. She'd rather ignore his existence. She knew Noah had been talking to him more and more but she'd never seen them together like that. Of course, as soon as they noticed her they started walking towards them.

Luna groaned.

"Lady Hargreaves," Finn greeted her with a big smile. Luna however, only spared him a brief nod.

"Fiancé."

"I see you've cut your hair. It looks nice."

Luna resisted the urge to run a hand through her hair. It wasn't so much a style choice as it was a means of protection, but she'd still hesitated for the longest time before going through with it. She'd liked her long hair, but after consideration she'd decided she hated the idea of having another poltergeist grab it to hold her down more than she liked keeping it long.

She turned away from Finn without replying and focused on Noah instead. "Off to the sanctuary?"

Noah nodded. He looked ridiculously flustered and Luna's lip curled. Why couldn't he have gotten engaged to Finn instead of her?

"It's Ilara's day after all."

The way he said it implied he knew full well Luna had forgotten, and she clicked her tongue, because he was right.

In her defense Ilara was Noah's Archon of worship and while his day of giving affected everyone in town Luna just couldn't care enough to remember. She still lived with her father so any donations they'd make to people in need would be through him anyway.

Noah was likely going to help with the food distribution at the sanctuary though, and it bothered her for seemingly no reason. A feeling of guilt perhaps, that he actively spent the day helping people while Luna couldn't even be bothered with remembering the holiday at all.

"Would you like to join us?" Finn offered. Luna didn't even have to imagine Noah's disappointed expression before replying.

"Definitely not."

"Not a lady of faith?"

"I most certainly am." Luna lifted her chin. "I just don't agree with the sanctuary."

"Luna..." Noah gave her a pleading look and Vincent's eye twitched, as if that would change anything. Finn on the other hand arched his eyebrows.

"Interesting. A less common faith then perhaps?"