Chapter 17: Struck by adolescence

"Well that was almost a complete disaster," Lucius, dressed as Lucia, muttered as he hurriedly walked out of the sanctuary with the twins and Vincent following closely behind him.

"I like to think 'almost' is the important word here," a soon-seventeen year old Luna said, tilting her head as endearingly as she could, which only resulted in her looking like she was trying to crack her neck.

"Really? I'd argue the important word would be 'disaster'."

Noah raised his shoulders in defense, awkwardly adjusting the fabric of his rhenelis.

"Are you very angry?"

"Not with you—" Lucius began, but interrupted himself as Luna frowned. "And I... I'm not angry, just frustrated."

"I don't get it. Why can't I ask questions? I don't so-called worship the Archon of truth to be kept in the dark!"

"We've been over this," Lucius said through gritted teeth as he tried to keep his face from scowling out in the open. "The priests are happy to answer questions but not about the Scourges. Or anything occult for that matter."

"Well, if people never know what to look out for then how are they gonna resist if a Scourge approaches them?"

"Common sense."

"But most of the time they don't have common—"

Lucius hushed her, glancing around at the other people exiting the sanctuary.

"Can we not have this discussion right now?"

"I doubt we'd ever have it if you got to decide," Luna muttered, but still agreed to drop it. "So, uh... About this evening. Alexei and I were planning on heading down to Fisherman's friend and meet up with Uncle Ethan and Uncle Abram."

Lucius furrowed his brow.

"This evening? They must've just arrived. Isn't it just as well to wait until you see them tomorrow?"

"Ugh, but everyone will be there tomorrow." Luna leaned her head back in exaggeration. "And it's been so long since I got to see them. I want just a little time without all the commotion, you know? I need to congratulate them as well!"

"Well then, I suppose," Lucius said absently, having begun to remove the veiled vika from his head as they walked. "I guess I haven't been able to congratulate them in person either, but I was also planning on visiting Sam's grave today, so I might save it for tomorrow."

Luna grimaced. Young as they may have been, she had fond memories of Samueli. He'd more or less been a father figure to Lucius, and a sort of grandfather to them by extension, she supposed.

"May—Maybe we should come along and say hi to Sam as well, then?"

"You can say hi another time." Lucius smiled weakly. "I'm sure he wouldn't want you to miss out on fun."

"Ah, speaking of not missing out on fun..." Luna suddenly remembered. "Do you think Vincent could... Not come?"

Lucius frowned and looked back at the bodyguard, who pursed his lips together.

"You're saying I'm to leave you and Alexei unchaperoned?"

Luna scrunched up her face with a sarcastic smile. She knew Lucius didn't actually mind her and Alexei being alone.

"It's been seventeen years. If something was to happen between us, I think it already would have."

"It's not so much what you do with each other, it's about how much trouble the two of you might get in if left unsupervised."