Chapter 26: Worries

The road back to South Kerilia felt longer than Luna could have imagined. She'd been in such a rush to get there before and had barely paid any mind to how long it had taken but now, after all that had happened it was as though it would never end.

Lucius had been quiet all the way after retrieving the horses, with Luna barely finding time to thank her uncle and his family for their hospitality. She still had so many questions for her father, but she'd found out some things at least, and considering how he'd acted during the confrontation Luna figured it was probably for the best not to push it.

After all, the biggest reveal would be where she and Noah actually came from, and if all they needed for that was Noah, then she wouldn't have to wait much longer. Surprisingly enough, once they'd gotten halfway to South Kerilia it was Lucius who broke the silence.

"No open wounds I hope?"

Luna looked up at the darkening sky.

"No."

Her father nodded slowly, letting a moment of quiet hesitation go by before speaking again.

"So he didn't... Do anything, did he?"

Luna shook her head only to remember she was riding behind him so he couldn't see it.

"No, no, I—I don't know what he would do. Or, I mean... What you think he'd do. Like, do you think he'd hurt me?"

Lucius didn't look back at her.

"... I don't know either..."

The awkward silence returned and Luna squinted as she looked down at the path. It was getting late and in the shadows of the trees surrounding them it was hard to see. Formerly-Happenstance and now currently known as Lord Neigh Clopsson still managed to keep them on the road without trouble. Lucius' horse, Silver Lining, did the same, but seemed less eager to walk through the dark as she nervously looked around at the swaying firs.

"He's not a good person," Lucius suddenly broke the silence again. "I know I can't decide your every action but... I don't think you should be around him. Especially alone."

Luna wasn't sure if she wanted to ask the question that popped up in her mind, but she rarely held her thoughts back anyway.

"Are you a good person then?"

"... Better than him."

"Well that doesn't really tell me much."

"I've done... Some bad things." Lucius' voice was strained. "He's never done a good thing. Look, let's just... Forget about it."

"You're the one who brought it up!" Luna shook her head. Had her father always acted that strange or was he really that shaken by past memories being stirred up?

"I—Yes, I know. I just wanted you to... Just—Just don't trust him, all right?"

"I'm not stupid, you know? I'm not going to trust someone I don't know blindly."

"Good."

Luna stared down at Lord Neigh's crest in thought. It did seem as though they could talk more freely while traveling like that. No one could run off, they weren't even able to keep eye contact, and it didn't feel right to yell at each other in the forest despite how late it was.

"So... Speaking of people I don't know," she began, and she thought she noticed her father tensing up where he sat. "Why did you decide on the whole marriage thing? It's just—It's not like you. And I— It didn't feel right. What—What you said before. About Noah and I being weird and... Is that actually why you're—"