Chapter Five-Robert

JS Marie

All Rights Reserved. 2012©

Five--Robert

“Are you even listening to me?”  My eyes have rarely left my hands since this afternoon waiting for the unknown power to return to them.  My gaze shifts to Clarice and her three companions, two girls and another boy, who mildly chortle.  “Did you even catch a single word, Robert?”  Clarice says with a bemused expression that annoys me.  I don’t feel it necessary to explain myself as we sit in the spacious limo.

            Clarice Whitestone is the Prime Minister’s only daughter who I have known for a few years.  After our parents had forced us together five years ago, she had become an unwelcome canker sore to my side.  Just like the lot of them.  Her murky blue eyes observe me hypocritically as her ironed light auburn hair, with visible layers, is pushed behind her ears.  Wearing a maroon miniskirt with a clashing bright tangerine ruffled top draped over her chest and arms, I grimace at her tacky sense of fashion.  She is perhaps the single most obnoxious and shallow person I’ve ever met.  Just the rest of the fakes, I treat her no different.

            “Like I was saying,” Clarice continues brushing off my indifference, “a gap year can be both beneficial and distracting.  For example, I used my free year to intern at the embassy.  Of course, there was the occasional party.”  A devious grin spreads on Clarice’s face as her cohorts break into knowing laughter.  I force a smirk in response.  Why do I allow myself to associate with their kind?  Oh right…I’m a prince.  “Somehow I found the transition from gap year to university most pleasant,” she continues on obviously loving the sound of her own voice.  “Don’t you agree, Haley?”

            The girl with copper red hair and a tan compliantly nods in response as Clarice’s snarky voice keep rambling, “On the other hand, Lana and Joseph went straight into university.”  The remaining boy and girl acknowledge this statement.  My expression remains cold.  “So what are you planning on going with?”  It takes me a moment to realize that her question is directed towards me.  All of their expecting eyes wait for an answer.

            “Go with what?”  The reply comes off naturally and confidant showing that the sudden question didn’t faze me.  I am getting really good at this…Clarice sighs as her voice becomes curt, “I was wondering that since you will be taking you’re A-levels shortly if you are going straight to university or will be taking next year off?  But I’m positive I know your answer.”

            At this, I involuntarily straighten in my seat hanging unto her words.  She thinks she knows?  Curious.  “Finally gotten your attention now?”  She challenges me taking notice of my sudden alert reaction.  “I’ve been hearing some rumors float between my father and your mother.  Planning to go help third world countries?  How charitable just like your father.”  She cocks an eyebrow waiting for me to counter this statement.  “Unless, you say differently?”

            I bite down on my tongue behind my thinned lips.  My aloof mask is cemented on never shifting to give Clarice the satisfaction of breaking me.  After all these years, she wasn’t ignorant to my withdrawn deposition.  All the while, I try to fight back the burning blood coursing beneath my skin ignited by the thought that my mother is trying to control all aspects of my future.  Ever since I was born.  I believe what Clarice says is true but this is the first time I’ve ever heard of such a plan.  “Clarice, as you said for yourself, rumors.”  She might be a couple years older than me but my whit surpasses hers by decades.  “It’s a shame that you, a diplomat’s daughter, would trust those rumors to be fact without taking details into consideration.  The truth is that nothing about next year is finalized.”  I could see her university mates’ eyes leave me and go straight to her.  All the color is drained from her face as resentment glints of her eyes.