Chapter Four-Lexie

JS Marie

All Rights Reserved.  2012 ©

Four--Lexie

Darting my eyes open, my breathing is regular as I glance at my nightstand.  Displaying a bright read, the electronic clock reads 20:26.  I can’t believe I’ve only been asleep for a couple of hours. I don’t remember anything.  I hastily leave my bed and cross over to the window.  The night sky is littered with stars as I hear the stirring nightlife in the streets below enjoying the Friday evening.  I shake my head as I grab my desolate cell from the dresser.  A list of messages is displayed on the small screen.  April…

    I open the first text:  Black Rafters playing at Kyle’s tonight at 21:00.  Coming?  Riley and Patricia will be there.  I’ll get you at 20:45.  See you then, mate.  April.

    The next message: Why won’t you bloody answer?  No matter, I’ll still go to your place and force you to go if I have to.  April.

    And a message sent a little over ten minutes ago: I’m heading over to your place.  Ready or not here I come.  April.

    I snap my phone shut as I scramble around my room getting ready.  There is no arguing with April.  In place of my wrinkled uniform, I am wearing a black skintight skirt with fishnet leggings, thick leather boots, thin black chains wrapped around my pale neck, and a blood red tank with glittering sequins.  As I apply my dark heavy make-up, I hear knocking.  I snatch my satchel from a hook and greet April as we leave my flat and head for the subway.  A short ride later we are standing in line to Kyle’s, a bustling night club that features new musicians such as the Black Rafters, a popular alternative rock band.  Neon lights hang above the entrance reflecting different hues of pink and yellow on the waiting crowd.

    I am pulled into the conversation between April and Riley.  With his platinum spikes teeming with gel, Riley’s face twists with disgust.  “The bastard.”  His gray eyes meet mine as he speaks to me.  “Just give the word, Lex.  I’ll rip the fucker’s throat out.  He could have hurt you.”

    I only offer him a small smile in response.  I can always count April to fill them in on the details of my life.  Riley stands a few centimeters away from me looming maybe a good four inches taller than me.  His frame is average as a black jumper covers his torso and skinny jeans conceal his legs.  Sliver loops are pierced over his right brow and both ears while thick studs are pinched through his lips and nose.  Patricia stands next to him twirling one of her magenta braids in her hands.  Thick-rimmed square spectacles hover over her brown eyes while piercings also are embedded on her face.  Underneath her electric green tank, a tattoo of a serpent trails from her shoulder down her left arm.  They have always been masochists enjoying the thrill of the needle to their skin.  April and I on the other hand…

    “Why are you here?”  Patricia’s rough voice breaks through.  Her hands quit twiddling with her braid as apparent boredom glares off her brunette eyes.  “Shouldn’t you be at home resting?  Since it was such a great fall…”  I can sense the sarcasm saturating her voice.  Jealously reflects off her movements as she grasps Riley’s free hand in hers.  Looks like someone doesn’t want her man protecting another woman.  I quickly lock the thought away.  I’ve already been down that road.  Remembering the times we used to hang out during senior school, I try to suppress a chuckle.  At eleven years old, I first met Patricia and Riley when entering secondary school.  Through our four years of school together, our group of four was as thick as thieves.  But when Riley and Patricia decided not continue on to the sixth forms, our tightknit gang disbanded with the rare exceptions like tonight.  I watch as Riley gives Patricia eyes filled with ardent passion as he responds to her tight grasp.  We had once tried the whole relationship thing but it wasn’t for us.  And Robert bullied him more than before…