Chapter Two-Robert

JS Marie

All Rights Reserved. 2012 ©

Two--Robert

It always replays over and over in my head. Her smile. Her innocent blue eyes. Her soft golden hair. She is my sanctuary; somewhere away from the evils that torment my world.  Then why did I sever the bond to that one glimpse of true happiness? I cannot be anything more than a coward.

    I finally open my eyes to the darkness.  My breathing is heavy and harsh as I try to think of her instead of the demented nightmares I'm constantly trying to escape.  I clearly remember the first day I met Lexie.  We were five and I was an immature twit.  I completely understand why she would hate me after all these years especially after days like yesterday.  Fuck, I hate myself.

    It wasn't my grand idea to dump that water on her.  Honestly, I didn't want her music to ever end but those idiots just did it and waited for my approval like whiny mutts.  I can't understand how I could ever give them the gratification.  Why am I the arrogant snot Lexie labels me?  Did I really want that?

    My alarm finally goes off as I let out an exasperated sigh.  For the past few weeks, I have been having the same bloody nightmare that causes me to wake up in deep sweat in the middle of the night.  I shake my head.  I don't want to think of the blood; not now.  I just want to think of Lexie; that's the reason I would just in bed and think about her and the time I first saw her with her blue eyes and all.  It is the only way I can make the demons go away.

    I force myself out of the bed and quickly got showered and changed.  As I adjust the blue and black tie in the mirror, I look at my sullen expression.  I fix my ruffled bronze hair and peer straight into my cold green eyes.  The look of a prince.  Their prince.  The figure they idolize and grovel for and the very thing she hates.  I give one last indifferent look before heading out of my room and entering the dining area.  I quickly finish my sufficient breakfast before leaving the estate with my chauffer. 

    In the sleek black vehicle, the smell of the leather fills my nose as I look out at the traffic rushing by.  I look towards the front of the cab to see my driver, Sebastian, looking at me with curiosity.  I slightly grimace as his eyes meet mine. 

    "Anything interesting planned for today?"  He speaks halfway keeping his eyes on me and on the traffic.  I nonchalantly shake my head.  I have known Sebastian ever since I can remember.  His eyes are dark pools and his brown hair has gray streaks.  Wrinkles form around his eyes as he continues to talk, "Yesterday you seemed distant after I picked you up."

    I sigh.  Nothing can ever go past you now can it, you old bloke?  I think as I look at Sebastian.  At five years old, I was left fatherless.  My father was murdered and that was that.  I never knew any of the gory details.  Nothing.  My father, Prince Richard; yes the Prince Richard was murdered.  Although the whole ordeal was investigated, nothing was ever released to the press.  The only thing that anyone knew was that he had died from natural causes.  I know differently; my dreams know differently.  How can I ever forget as they constantly play in my head?  The blood. The body. The cold in his eyes.

    Ever since then, Sebastian has filled the role of a father.  All these years later, I know he can easily read me like an open book.  He is the only one who knows the real me.  The me who loves Lexie with a burning passion and hates to see those bastards hurt her just to please me.  The me who hates what I've become.  I shrug in response to his question.  What am I supposed to say?  The girl I love hates me?

    He just looks away with complete understanding.  I enjoy the few moments of silence before we reach the school grounds.  Today will be the day I will make things right with her.  I think to myself for the millionth time.  Yeah, just keep talking and what will happen?  You become that terrible git.