Chapter Sixteen-Lexie

JS Marie

All Rights Reserved. 2015©

I flash open my eyes just in time to see a black-gloved hand grab the harmonica from me through the shelves. My heart is racing. I take shallow breaths trying to calm my heightened nerves. Looking around me, I see that the others have joined me. I blink several times, clearing my head from the confusing vison before realizing that I lost the harmonica. What the hell just happened?

Chills run the course of my back as I automatically turn to my right staring at a cloaked figure standing a few feet away. The Glass Harmonica is tightly secured in its hand. I turn to the sound of a swooshing sound as Lionel unsheathes a formidable sword, charging straight towards the figure. Everything happens so fast that I can barely take it all in.

In the end of what seems like mere minutes, the warrior sprite is trapped unconscious under an arm of a fallen chandelier, Iris is lying on top of fallen shelves after being brutally thrown, Galia lies unconscious before after her apparition takes a magical hit from the demon.

After the attack on our comrades, my attention glues on the shimmering glass artifact still in vile clutches. It doesn't belong there. I quickly look around at the damage, making the hasty and irrational decision. I am going to have to take it away the old fashion way without any weapons or magic.

The figure slowly begins to approach where Robert, Susan, and I stand stock still. I break for it as my arms instinctively reach out for the hooded figure's slender arm. I grasp on tight, trying to release the harmonica form the black leather finger tips.

Suddenly, a gush of wind is knocked out of me as I fly through the air heading for a nearby wall. I silently hope that it will not hurt as much as I expect.

Right before making a collision, a gust of wind suddenly wraps around me and carries me safely to the ground. I release a relieved breath and look in the direction of the subsiding wind. Thinking it is Susan, I am surprised to see Robert standing with arms outstretched. He saved me? This doesn't make sense.

I scan the area for the dark figure, spotting it slumped over motionless against a wall opposite of Robert. The harmonica lies on the ground, out of the demon's grasp. I get to my feet, thinking of running after it until Robert slowly inches towards the artifact.

He bends down to pick it up. At that instant my vision blacks out, I see the figure releasing a blade straight to Robert. It slices through his chest nearly missing his heart. He falls over, grasping where he is hit. My vision momentarily becomes dark again.

I regain my sight just to see Robert still slowly bending down, reaching for the harmonica unharmed.

I know what is going to happen. A wave of power courses through my arms as a small memory of my past trickles through my mind. My father's image appears before me. He stands ready, one hand on the bow and the other on the arrow. I fingers are swift, releasing the air straight into red target with difficulty.

I imitate my father's image. I pull on arm back as if ready to release an arrow although there is nothing in my hands. Just when a flash of silver escapes the figure's robes straight for Robert, my fingers deftly flick an invisible arrow out of a now glowing blue bow in my hands. The arrows shimmers a holographic blue and zooms straight after the dagger, knocking it to the ground. Breathless, Robert turns in my direction and smiles.

I am pushed to the ground, losing my breath with the figure on top of me. Its cold bony hands grasp for my throat, trying to strangle me. My breaths are raspy as I struggle to get the figure off of me. Hovering over, now stands Robert with a translucent glowing sword in on hand. My expression widens as he swings the blade towards the cloaked figure. It moves off of me, affected by the blow with blood dripping down the course of one arm.