Chapter Nine-Robert

JS Marie

All Rights Reserved. 2013 ©

Chapter Nine--Robert

The sermon from the pastor did not even pass through my ears.  He stands at the alter speaking through the microphone giving commanding gestures.  My eyes are watching him as my mind is buzzing with the events from yesterday.

            The right side of body emanates heat towards my mother who is sitting by my side.  I dare not glance at her in fear of a sudden rage that will instantly consume me.  Not only did she completely screw my over yesterday morning but I was later forced to attend some charity gala at night.  I cringe at the memory.

            The event was filled with people who groveled and inquired about my future plans after sixth form.  With my mother by my side, she gave them prompt answers that I will be doing charity services in Haiti.  There was no real conversation between my mother and me after our tense confrontation.  I never really had a say in the answer that she was giving all the officials, press, and acquaintances.

            Through the entire night, I felt as if I was some sort of show dog on display for the entire world to see.  He’s just like his father

            Even at one point during the evening, I saw Clarice socializing with other officials’ daughters and her eyes unknowingly met mine when she obviously overheard my mother speaking to her father about my future endeavors.  My body and temper may have been present at the gala but my mind was far away cherishing the new friend I met in Natalie and trying to remember the events from Friday night still that haven’t made an appearance in my memory.

            Back in the cathedral away from my thoughts, my mouth automatically moves to the recited prayer along with everyone else as the pastor closes the service.  My mother and I are the first to leave the sanctuary then followed by the rest of the congregation.  I allow my face to remain indifferent as my mother on occasion gives me a wary eye.  We leave the church surrounded by guards as we head to the vehicles waiting by the curb.

            As I begin towards the vehicle designated for me, my mother’s voice sternly breaks through the silence, “Robert.”

            My eyes briefly meet hers and fiercely glare.  She doesn’t speak any more as she nods and continues in the direction of the other car.  My eyes follow her for a few seconds and quickly look away.  Heat rushes in my face as I enter the door to the car that Sebastian is holding out for me.  How dare she try to speak to me.

            The car begins to roll away from the curb and soon intermingles with the packed ongoing traffic.  Sebastian is analyzing me through the rearview mirror and doesn’t look away until I finally acknowledge his stare.  “What is it, Sebastian?”

            “Your highness, did something occur between you and Her majesty?  I overheard some of the guards speak about an incident that occurred yesterday morning.”

            A cold expression crosses my face as I try to clear my throat in order to sound stronger and more in control than I actually feel inside.  “Nothing that really concerns you, Sebastian.”

            “I apologize for intruding, your highness.”  With that, his eyes focus on the road and he does not bring up the matter anymore.

            My eyes gaze through the window and unto the streets.  People with smiling faces and laughing conversations occupy the streets as walking families with strollers pass by.  A twinge of jealously at seeing these people live completely happy and normal lives with carefree problems and no worries races in my heart.  I want what they have.  I don’t want to live a life where the world is watching my next step and I have painful secrets that my mother is unwilling to let me know.  These people may have problems, my thoughts briefly reflect on my conversation with Natalie, but they are happy nonetheless with true families that are there for you.