Chapter Eight-Lexie

JS Marie

All Rights Reserved. 2013 ©

Chapter Eight--Lexie

When I regain my vision, I am on the street facing the abandoned library.  I let out a deep sigh.  I have escaped that evil woman.  I begin to walk away feeling as if a huge weight has been released from chest.

            “Where do you think you’re going?”  Mima is standing next to me.  I let out a small shriek.

            “I wish you would quit doing that.”  I try to catch my breath once again.

            “I’m sorry dear,” she lowers her voice, “but it wouldn’t be wise if you took off by yourself.”

            “Why?  It’s just London.”

            “Yes, it is London, but a London that you’re not used to.”

            It takes me a few moments to realize that there is something peculiar about my surroundings. Across the street where the café was less than an hour ago, instead stands a shoe shop in its place.  At a newspaper, that was not there before stands a few feet away, the news vendor advertises today’s news, “King Paul Actively searches for a suitor for daughter, Princess Cornelia.  Get the today’s paper of The Times and read all about it.”

            An eerie chills passes through my spine at the mention of King Paul.  The late King Paul as well as I’m concerned.  Why did this man say Princess Cornelia instead of Queen?

            “Where am I?”  Panic fills my voice.

            “You’re in London,” Mima smiles at me, “the London of 1989.”

            I try to accept the truth that is presented to me, but I am finding myself unable to handle it.  I look around.  The street is mainly empty, except for two handsome young men.  They are wearing light windbreakers and are coming straight towards us.

            “Don’t worry, Alexandra.”  She whispers in my ears.  “They cannot see, hear, or touch us.”

            One of the men is blonde and the other is a brunette.  The brunette man suddenly stops in front of the library.  The blonde boy quickly spins around noticing his companion is no longer following him.  I can clearly see the face of the golden-haired man.

            “Holy, shit.”  I gasp as tears instantly begin to leak through my eyelids.  I undeniably recognize the face.

            I am drawn to the color of his eyes.  They are a shimmering light blue and the sun reflected off them as if they are a pool of water.  His face is strong.  His jaw is squared and his nose is prominent with a slight bridge.  It’s a face I know perfectly well and will never forget with only a few wrinkles and more youth. It’s as if I’m looking into a mirror. 

            “Rick?  What are you doing now?”  My father speaks to his companion as he pushes a strand of his long hair behind his ear.  “The train that will take us to the university departs in fifteen minutes.  We have no time to waste.”

            The brunette man turns to face my young father.  I look at his face and see a familiarity in his features.  His eyes are a glittering emerald green and his smile is toothy and completely idiotic.  I know such features on the person I hate most. Robert…

            “I know,” his focus shifts back to the library, “but don’t you feel that there’s something about this place, Greg?  Like we’ve been here before?”